Only Known Photo of me Smoking. Circa 1989.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
One of my first pipes, a Peterson System "military fit", was a favorite on our late night offroad rides. Like all of my early pipes, it was purchased from George Karr at the Tinder Box at the Southcenter Mall just south of Seattle.

We'd ride after work, year round. Based on the mud, I assume this was a spring or fall ride. I remember it was a windy night, and right behind the tailpipe was the one place I could find where the match would stay lit. We were in the hills above the Four Corners area of Maple Valley, WA.

The bike was my first Honda XR650L, and the photo was taken by one of my very oldest and best friends, and only pipe smoking buddy to this day.

IMG_2960.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
One of my first pipes, a Peterson System "military fit", was a favorite on our late night offroad rides. Like all of my early pipes, it was purchased from George Karr at the Tinder Box at the Southcenter Mall just south of Seattle.

We'd ride after work, year round. Based on the mud, I assume this was a spring or fall ride. I remember it was a windy night, and right behind the tailpipe was the one place I could find where the match would stay lit. We were in the hills above the Four Corners area of Maple Valley, WA.

The bike was my first Honda XR650L, and the photo was taken by one of my very oldest and best friends, and only pipe smoking buddy to this day.

View attachment 283289
I remember the Tinderbox in Southcenter very well. It was owned by Paul Reasoner (Harry Reasoner, the CBS anchorman's brother). He sold me my first good pipe, a Charatan Belvedere Prince. I still enjoy that pipe!

Reactions: OverMountain

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands

View attachment 283289
Great story and a pipe that has stood the test of time! Are you a MD in real life too?

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I remember the Tinderbox in Southcenter very well. It was owned by Paul Reasoner (Harry Reasoner, the CBS anchorman's brother). He sold me my first good pipe, a Charatan Belvedere Prince. I still enjoy that pipe!
I remember Paul. He moved the shop out to Issaquah for a long while before it moving to its current location in Tacoma. I don't think he's the owner now, but I don't know why I think that. ?

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Great story and a pipe that has stood the test of time! Are you a MD in real life too?
I am not. I worked IT for a small group of medical universities, and have spent many a night sleeping on exam tables in the PD Lab, but that probably does not quite qualify! As it is, many of my friends from that era are now doctors.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
LOL, I did a double take - from the neck up, that's me back then - literally identical.

You were one fine looking man!