PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have a motorcycle shop but would like to open a baccy shop for pipers and cigars so this is a bit of research for me thanks for the input.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I buy almost everything online. I would gladly support a local B&M but the only ones that are reasonably close to me cater much more to cigar smokers and don't have much in the way of pipes or tobacco. Not to mention that their knowledge of anything pipe related is next to nothing.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
I support a B&M in PA called Boswell's haha, I try to support local but sometime likes have to take you to the interwebs

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
There are no local shops here, there's more variety online, and no state taxes online! WOOHOO! I miss the old Pipe and Cigar Shop that was in our mall when I was a kid. Loved the smell of pipe smoke and the spicy tobacco! I'd be hanging out there now-a-days if it still existed. :crying:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
+1 for east TX ...cedar creek lake preferred ..hell I'll build it (across street from me) for ya.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
For me it's just a matter of impulse. If I see something I really love online I buy it if the funds are available. The same goes for b&ms. I do try and buy something while in a shop though even if it is just pipe cleaners.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I buy a couple of blends from one of the B&M and cleaners, pipe caps, pouches ..... once I picked up a no-name Italian Briar for 20 bucks that smokes like a dream. As for tinned baccy .... the little bit another one of the B&M carries is a ripoff. Even if I bought one tin at a time online it still comes out cheaper, and our 75% pipe tobacco tax has nothing to do with it. For example, a tin of McBaren 7 Seas which is $9-12 online ( and they buy them by the sleeve, not singles, and probably from a distributor ) they sell for $30 :crazy: ( 30 minus 8 minus 12 equals 10, which is 80% markup if they bought it for 12 ) ..... but then again this is the place with the "private lounge" which requires a $500 "initiation fee" .....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only b&m around me has pretty much gotten out of the pipe business so I am forced to go online. Back when I lived up north I used to love visiting a number of tobacconists and did support them. Peretti's was always my favorite to go into.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I buy my alcohol, pipe cleaners, and some tins at the B&M. They have a very large alcohol section and walk in humidor, but a smaller pipe area; so the stuff I can't get from them I buy online.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Sounds like a lot of you are in Texas. Maybe we could meet at locopony's shop and talk him into taking the plunge. Roads to Conroe are a nice ride--even in a cage. [biker talk for a car]. Hey loco - where is the shop?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
My local B&M will not charge sales tax if you pay with cash. Nice little perk. He will also allow you to take a pipe bowl of s bulks and smoke on the patio for free so you can try some new things.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love my local B&M for cigars but unfortunately for pipe tobacco there just isn't there much for me. I support them as much as I can though. I bought a pipe there awhile back for about 15% more than I would have paid online but the convenience factor along with the chance to throw some business their way was worth it to me.
There's another shop here in Austin that has a decent mix of Gawith tins but at $16.95 per plus local tax, online is just so much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.