PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
From my readings of GL Pease and commentaries on tobacco aging, it is not advisable to interrupt the tobacco aging process when it is not necessary.
I think that is why most people advocate tins over jars unless there is a physical defect present with the tins.
That is why one should separate their smoking stock from their aging stock.
Every time you open the jar, all gears grind to a halt and the anaerobic micro organisms must replenish themselves. This can take ages, from what I gather, and it truly inhibits the aging process.
I'm no expert, I've only read the Tobacco Aging FAQ and a trillion forum posts, but that is the gist of my "knowledge"...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Totally agree it comes down to speed vs. risk, and how much you can financially store. The buy one to smoke and one to store is a great ideal in most situations. In bulk situations the choice has been made for you, and you must take care.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is no crazier than pitching a packet of yeast into sugary liquid and drinking the results strained from that sludgy mess several weeks later. LOL. I was really impressed (and somewhat amazed) the first time I did that...
+1 on the smaller jars.
I used the 125 ml (4 oz) jars for the first time yesterday and 4/12 were defective and wouldn't seal. I was disgusted. That never happened to me with the 250 mls... (8 oz)
They screw 75% of the way around and then they pop back up instead of going tight! I tried replacing the seals/lids but it didn't work. Anyway that size of jars is ideal for plugs or even some flakes if you cut them to fit, but I was not satisfied with the quality... (It was the same brand as usual) It has never happened to me with the larger mason jars.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I have ordered 12 jars, but I will save them to store the tobacco I smoke to keep it moist and the other tobacco in the tins, if one goes mouldy, one tin rusts and one tin is lost in outer space I'll still have 7 FVF tins to enjoy :). So far, touch wood none of the seals "seem" to have been broken, I do have however 6 more tins of FVF coming.

The question is how much force to apply to see if the seal is broken before breaking the seal yourself!? 8O

Those tins are little buggers to open from new anyway though and once they are open, they take very little effort to reopen in my experience. Anyone agree?

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I'm sorry guys for being such a pain the the A**
All of the tins I have I can smell each one of the tobaccos from the tin. This is obviously worrying for long term storage, is this common?
I have brought the jars in case I want to store them in there, but when it comes to smoking or if I want to, selling. Are they worth more in the original tin or is it much of a muchness?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
pipe8:
Of course, it's possible that a tin here or there has "lost" its seal -- I've had this happen once, so far, out of 1,000+ tins -- but I suspect that what you're smelling is the result of your tin coming from a tobacco factory and sitting on the shelves of a tobacco retailer. You're probably not smelling the tobacco that's in the tin; you're probably smelling the tobacco and smoke that has surrounded the tin for all its life.
If you can't pry off the lid with just your fingers, odds are the seal is good. And, assuming the seal holds, the tobacco should be fine for decades.
If you're even thinking about selling your tobacco down the road, for me it absolutely has to remain in its original sealed tin. (And if you're selling on eBay, the only way you can do that is if it's in the original tin, due to eBay's restrictions on tobacco sales. That is, you're not selling the tobacco, per se; you're selling the "collectible tin.") Others here will have different takes on this, but this is mine: If you have a 20-year-old sealed tin of a blend I want, I'd pay $50-100 for that tin (maybe more), depending on what it was. If you had the same tobacco that had sat aging in a jar for 20 years, I wouldn't give you a penny for it.
Bob

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks Bob, I took your advice and left them well alone! :)
You have been brilliant help!

Status
Not open for further replies.