Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Remember, remember

The fifth of November.
Anything interesting happening in your hamlet?
Bonfires?
A penny for the Old Guy?

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I dont really understand how a plot to kill a king, classism, and just general hatred of the Catholics is a holiday that stuck around, I am glad it lost a lot of its roots through the years though, happy Guy Fawks Day :)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks stbruno, I'm currently trying to keep the poor dog calm. She hates fireworks, can't help it, so I do my best. The problem is that 'Bonfire Night' now spreads over several days; the noise started last Friday and Saturday, and will I'm sure recur this coming weekend. This never happened when I was young - it was ONLY November 5th, even if it was followed by a 'school day'.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Yeah, but is this the one with the Morris dancers? :worship:
They make Travolta look like a rank amateur. :rofl:

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
BTW, Guy Fawkes has been the mascot of Canadian police and military explosives technicians for over three decades.
guy-fawkes-logo.jpg

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Ironic I guess since he ended up not setting off explosives at all lol. When can we all get over stuff that happened hundreds of years ago. History is taught to show how not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Ironic I guess since he ended up not setting off explosives at all lol. When can we all get over stuff that happened hundreds of years ago. History is taught to show how not to repeat the mistakes of the past.
Not ironic, because the plot was successfully foiled. That's what police explosives technicians seek to do: prevent an improvised explosive device from functioning in the way it was intended, in order to minimize casualties or property damage.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Not ironic, because the plot was successfully foiled. That's what police explosives technicians seek to do: prevent an improvised explosive device from functioning in the way it was intended, in order to minimize casualties or property damage.
I was of the same thinking as Piper. That is a very witty mascot indeed.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@flakyjakey I too remember as a young man in England when the bonfire was only one night.

Do children no longer ask for a penny for the old guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.