On Codger Blends and Their Matches, et al.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hello fellow pipers and other cultural miscreants!

I've heard all kinds of hubbub about breaking in pipes or not, as the case may be.

So, I've been wanting to try some codgers, both for possibly breaking in a pipe, but also just because I love smoking my pipe and want to try some.

I don't want to buy whole tins or tubs of Granger or Prince Albert , which means either 4noggins, asking for the mutual aid of fellow pipers, trying the match blends.

My Questions
What's so folks think about the match blends?
What's your favorite codger or codger like blend?
Any thoughts on breaking in with them?

Thanks!

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Many of the match blends are quite good and many have a base of cased burley that should be good for breaking in a pipe. Sutliff Ready Rubbed match is a really good one I've been smoking recently. True to the original Edgeworth RR and very tasty.

Sutliff Revelation match is another good one to try and better than the last iteration of Revelation from House of Windsor. Sutliff Duke Albert is a Prince Albert match and while not an exact copy is a good tobacco in it's own right and at least suggestive of Prince Albert. Those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Two you can get in smaller sizes are Sail and Five Brothers. Both are great in my opinion. Sail Yellow is the Budweiser of pipe tobacco. It's pretty much an enjoyable blend that tastes generically pipey. I love both of them by the way. Sail is a perfect blend for when I want to smoke but don't want to dote over the process. The joy is in the simplicity. Generally not a huge fan of most of these blends. Not bad but not something I would smoke when so many other things are available.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Carter Hall all the way! I've tried just about all the classic codger blends and Carter Hall is my favorite by a country mile. It's a wonderfully mellow Burley/Virginia mixture and the bourbon whiskey and cocoa toppings are so lightly added that I'd consider it a burley blend rather than an aromatic. It's probably the easiest and most forgiving blend to pack and light that I've ever smoked, always burning cool and dry no matter what kind of pipe you smoke it in, and it's great for breaking in new pipes as well as de-ghosting pipes that have had strongly flavored blends smoked in them.

It never bites or turns harsh no matter how absentmindedly you puff it, and in spite of it being a burley blend I've never gotten any throat irritation from it either. I can't think of any blend other than Carter Hall that always sounds agreeable regardless of the time of day or season, and I'd highly recommend picking up a sample from 4Noggins if you've never tried it before. It's a real masterpiece if you ask me!puffy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Some of the 're-issue' blends are worth a punt. War Horse Bar, Bengal Slices, John Cottons 1&2 (Not sure if C.I still make that one) and if you fancy nicotine poisoning there is always Cotton Ball twist. If you take a ride over to any of @Briar Lee posts you will encounter a panoply of every Drug Store sack of $9 pipe tobacco available south of the Mason Dixon line.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Carter Hall all the way! I've tried just about all the classic codger blends and Carter Hall is my favorite by a country mile. It's a wonderfully mellow Burley/Virginia mixture and the bourbon whiskey and cocoa toppings are so lightly added that I'd consider it a burley blend rather than an aromatic. It's probably the easiest and most forgiving blend to pack and light that I've ever smoked, always burning cool and dry no matter what kind of pipe you smoke it in, and it's great for breaking in new pipes as well as de-ghosting pipes that have had strongly flavored blends smoked in them.

It never bites or turns harsh no matter how absentmindedly you puff it, and in spite of it being a burley blend I've never gotten any throat irritation from it either. I can't think of any blend other than Carter Hall that always sounds agreeable regardless of the time of day or season, and I'd highly recommend picking up a sample from 4Noggins if you've never tried it before. It's a real masterpiece if you ask me!puffy
Thanks for the help!

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Some of the 're-issue' blends are worth a punt. War Horse Bar, Bengal Slices, John Cottons 1&2 (Not sure if C.I still make that one) and if you fancy nicotine poisoning there is always Cotton Ball twist. If you take a ride over to any of @Briar Lee posts you will encounter a panoply of every Drug Store sack of $9 pipe tobacco available south of the Mason Dixon line.
Thanks! How you like those Bengal slices?

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I can't believe I forgot Borkum Riff in my OTC/Codger list! Borkum Riff Bourbon and their Cherry are two of my favorite pipe tobaccos. I smoke the Bourbon every day at least a couple of bowls worth. For reasons I don't understand the Borkum Riff line gets panned with low reviews but I have found them to be good, flavourful and easy to smoke. I wish they were a little cheaper but I still buy them.

The Amphora line should also get a mention. They are currently made by Mac Baren and are very good blends. I especially like their Burley and Virginia as well as their Special Reserve Black Cavendish.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Milan Tobacco has a really good match for the old Kentucky Club Mild. They have some other matches, that I have not tried, for Carter Hall, Prince Al, and London Dock.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is Lane 1Q or something like that, I am sure the guys on here will correct the name for me. I have heard tell that as a blend it has been around for absolutely forever. I have had enough meerschaum pipes ghosted with the smell of that particular blend so I assume there must be some truth to the assertion!

Reactions: Annaresti Red