PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
Ok folks need some direction here. I have a Grabow Omega that I got as an estate from Ebay. I really like the pipe and how it feels in the hand. What I really hate is the stem. It really restricts the draw. I have tried it several different times and just cannot make myself like it. I don't want to give up on this one so what options do I have for a replacement stem that won't be cost prohibited? The current stem is vulcanite and the hole is so small it is tight just trying to passing a cleaner. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rex

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have had many Omegas and the draw has not been a problem ever. If your using filters, take it out and try it. Since yours is an estate it may have some blockage.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have 4 Omegas and haven't had a problem with the draw or passing a cleaner. Try removing the filter.
Have you cleaned the stem with alcohol soaked pipe cleaners? Maybe there is some blockage from previous use.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
No filter is being used so no problem there. I have an alochol soaked cleaner in the stem now so I will see what that does to help. Maybe it is just me. When I compare it to my Lark or Savoy, the only other Grabow's I have, the draw is more restricted. And the same goes for comparing to my other briar pipes. It may just be the nature of this specific pipe. I do know that the restriction comes from the stem and not the briar. I will also call Dr. Grabow to see what a stem would cost. If not to much I may take a chance and try that too. Thanks.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
You could take a small drill bit and slowly by hand and open up the draft hole a bit on the tennon end.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder if an aftermarket Peterson system stem would work. Of course, the stem would cost as much as the pipe, but if its a good smoker, it might be worth the investment.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
I spoke with Dr. Grabow and a replacement stem will cost $14. Knowing that I can get a replacement will now allow me to try and remedy the current stem without worry. Time to get a drill bit.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Let us know how it turns out.
I also have an Omega, and I also find the draw too restricted. I don't really know if it's TOO tight, or just more tight than I like. My only other Grabow has a nice, open draw, so I'm not sure if it's a defect or just the way the pipe is designed.
It's otherwise a nice little pipe, and I have learned to smoke it without burning my tongue (if I smoke it really, really slow) but it does require more attention than I like. Let us know how it turns out.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
Well I didn't notice any appreciable difference after trying to open the stem with a drill bit. I honestly think that due to the bend of stem i just couldn't get enough of it open. I will either try a replacement stem or additional practice with the pipe. Thanks.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've never noticed my Omega's having a tight draw,but the first thing I would look at if they did would be the size of the airway through the stem. Opening the slot in the button will not help if the rest of the airway is small.
I quite often open up stems using a tapered 5/32" drill bit.Run it through,up close to the button, and then open the slot. Of course to do that to your Omega stem you would need to heat and straighten it and re-bend afterwards.

Not all stems can be drilled out-depends on the thickness of the stem,especially saddle bit stems, the drill bit can cause them to crack on the top or bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.