PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Hello there, I was thinking about this the other day about how many of us don't have some of the famous old stuff and probably never will own it. So in the spirit of living vicariously though the smoking descriptions of others I wondered if some of you would share what you have smoked recently that is "vintage" and how you would describe the taste. Of course we probably won't write up as elaborate of a review as Jiminks but that's okay anything is fair game. I'll start with:
1. 2015 Frog Morton OG and it always provides an unparalleled smoke that is creamier than anything else in the latakia blends world I have tried. Others have the taste in part but can't seem to match whatever is in it that makes the smoke so creamy and mouthfeel like.
2. 2017 McClellands Christmas Cheer - bought it because everyone references it as being amazing. I enjoy it but honestly it doesn't rise much higher to me over other straight Virginia's today i.e. Ken Byron Ventures "You're Welcome" or "Hey Wire". Probably because I prefer more the sweetness from Virginia's than necessarily the sour/soda that is at times present here.

Cheers and fire away!

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I'm currently smoking a tin of Samuel Gawith's Commonwealth mixture which is 22 years old. It's a blend containing 50% latakia and is quite good. I found fresh tins to be a little too heavy for me, but with this much age it seems to have smoothed out and the latakia has perhaps faded slightly.

Probably the oldest tin I have ever smoked was an obscure tin of Cathedral which was from sometime in the 60s. In that case the flavors had merged into something muddy and unpleasant like a bottle of wine kept a decade or two past its peak.

We all had some samples of Capstan from the 40's. Ashdigger had sent us all out some to sample as a forum.

My pipe club had bought some vintage Country Doctor from pipestud, and we all sampled that at a meeting. It was from the 40's also.

The Capstan was pretty good, and it was interesting that the older stuff had more nicotine strength to it, but the flavor was sort of flat.
The Country Doctor was a typical flavored codger blend. I can't remember the details, but I do remember that I really didn't care for it.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
1960s, 70s, 80s Prince Albert. The late 60s/early 70s tins did have hints of dust and rust and the flavours were definitely "old" instead of "aged". The late 70s/early 80s stuff was good (if you like PA that is).

I have some 20ish year old Jack's Tobacco Firehouse Dog with Syrian Latakia and perique that is pretty good, but it doesn't taste like a Lat blend any more and it's not spicy at all, it is the proverbial "stewed fruit" now.

I also have (from the same friend that gave me the other 20 year old tobacco, from his late father's cellar) a 20 year old jar of "mystery dog turds" which I'm 99% sure is Sam Gawith No. 4 aromatic twist. Very dark, almost black, doesn't burn easily (understatement) and still smells strongly of tonquin. Great stuff.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have about 4 oz. of George Washington from the mid-1970s. My grandfather was a pipe smoker and that’s all he smoked until they stopped making it. Every now and then I will smoke a bowl of it in one of his pipes I was given.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I participated in the tasting of some circa 1926 Velvet tobacco courtesy of @ashdigger :

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The oldest I smoked was some 1980's MB Virginia blends. It was incredibly strong and tasty, I was shocked. Most of what I smoke these days is 5 to 6 years old. Presently smoking 2018 Capstan Blue Flake, F&T Cut Blended Plug and Vintage, Union Square and 2015 Orlik Golden Sliced. I have a sale posted with a number of tins of 8 to 12 year old tobacco, 8 oz tin of Union Square from 2014 and 2006 Lancers Slices.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The oldest blend was from the 1920's, Richmond Blend if I remember correctly, that tasted like zombie vomit. I also participated in the Capstan trial, which was from 1938 and 1941 with the 1938 tasting like a very muted but recognizable Capstan and the 41 tasting like a science experiment gone horribly wrong. I've also been gifted with Capstan from the '50's and 60's that was okay. I've had Edgeworth from the late 1960's that was spectacular, Warhorse from the 1930's that was, um...interesting, 1950's Craven Mixture that was very muted, but pleasant, MacBaren Navy Flake from the '70's that was very sweet, St Bruno from the 70's, 80's, and early 2000's I think, that was enjoyable, 70's and 80's era Balkan Sobranie fresh, which was superb and 759, of which I smoked a lot back in the 70's. Three Nuns from the '90's. Also a number of different blends from years gone by that I don't remember specifically. Once in a while these very old blends provide a surprisingly satisfying smoke. Mostly they are faint ghosts of their former selves.
I'm glad I got to enjoy some legendary blends in their prime, so I don't have a need to dig up their corpses.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I can’t accurately date the oldest blend since I didn’t buy it new.
I started pipe smoking in early ‘97.
Shortly afterwards I acquired a 6-8 ounce batch of GH&Co Bob’s Square Cut from a fellow in College Station. He said it was “about 10 years old”, so mid-to-late ‘80s. I had no reason to doubt him.
It was rather magical stuff.
After buying some of the then current version, I realized there had been a change in the blend. Not bad, still very good, but just different.
After occasional newsgroup posts over a couple of years I managed to find another jar from “before the change”.
Both of these batches are gone, but I learned that as early as the mid-90s quantities of certain leaf varietals were becoming unavailable.
All that said, I still have and smoke several blends from 1998 onward.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Both of these batches are gone, but I learned that as early as the mid-90s quantities of certain leaf varietals were becoming unavailable.
Yep. I've heard pipe smokers talk about how quality started slipping in the '90's. Certainly when I remember what I was smoking in the '70's and '80's, the rich smoothness of what you could buy right off the shelf isn't what it was.
But that said, many of today's blends, while quite different in style, still provide a very pleasurable smoking experience.