PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
I was on a vacation near Makarska on Adriatic Sea, Croatia.... I have found, purely by chance, three old ceramic pipes in one private collection - i would like to share pictures of those here for Forum members :)

hope you will like them :)
33e7l36.jpg

16jkkk1.jpg

29w6c74.jpg

qnog1j.jpg

2zeb0o0.jpg

regards, daniel

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cool! The last one is interesting, with the three holes at the bottom.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
heheheh... probably not... they seem to be very old... one of them seem to have a black colour inside so it is probably smoked... not sure - they are really old.... :)

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
heheheh - glad you like it... i was thinking... would be interesting to make some pipes that have three holes on the bottom - but unfortunately the pipe cleaner would not be able to pass all the way... have to think in that direction :) :) :)

have some ideas...

regards, daniel

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
yes... a woman that had them told me that they might be 200 or even 250 years old... not sure about that... but sure they look good if this old :)

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
That's some serious history. They could be even older than what you were told, I think.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like the middle pipe... Looks to be made of Terra-cotta.

Fancy design... I wonder who actually smoked it.

Begs the questions: Was "he" well off "a dandy", or was "he" an earthy individual?

What did "he" do to earn a living? A member of some court, or subsistence farmer?

Did he prop his feet on a fender by the hearth and a glass of wine, or lean his chair up against the side of the house in the evening after a dinner of potato soup?

Did he ride or walk?
To tell you the truth; I think "he" would be the latter in all probability. I don't think a "dandy" would smoke a Terra-cotta pipe...
Just musing.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I suppose something like that could be made in clay, with the three holes. Clay pipe cleaning is easy - you just toss them in a fire.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
"he" was probably a sailor... where i got them - almost all of the people are sailors or fishermans... :) :) hehehehe

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am lucky enough to own a sweet little clay that was found in the Thames and was dated to around 1900. I look at it hanging in the rack and wonder a lot about the guy who lost it. Probably a longshoreman or dock worker just trying to get by in Victorian England.

Status
Not open for further replies.