Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just advocating still doing the occasional experiment. I.e. pack the pipe a little different try a new source of flame. Get a tin of something you have never had before.
I say that because today I had a light bulb moment like the kind you don't get often after decades of smoking.
Today I straight gravity packed my pipe with mixture 79 and the difference it made actually shocked me. It was so much richer and smoked so much easier. Didn't have a problem with it before but from now on that is how I will pack my pipes with that one and any goopier then my normal tobacco with a thick cut. I guess even if you feel like there is nothing new to learn, there still very well maybe.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I agree completely, experiment constantly.
There’s always something new even failed experiments improve one’s overall experience. When I heard about pipe stud Steve’s Five Brothers / Royal Yacht parfait, I didn’t hesitate to try it out and now I am a Five Brothers / whatever VA parfait addict , such a satisfying smoke. There’s always more to learn/explore…

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This thread makes me think of the line in THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR where the town mayor tells the researcher.
"Look, if we don't know it already, chances are we're not interested in learning it."
Some how I don't think the mayor is a member of this forum.
p.s. If you haven't seen this movie... you should. puffy

Imettage1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After a certain age (different ages for different people) most change seems bad. But of course, this isn't true.

In the case of gravity packing your pipes, it is definitely a good technique. The ember needs air, along with fuel and heat, to light up and stay sustained.

Various other suggestions on Forums are worth a try. Some are revelations and others just aren't for me. But a trial run always informs the experience.

My wife has been a change agent in my pipe smoking, giving me my first churchwarden and my first Oom-Paul, among other innovations. Also, she gave me a little hand grater that is just right for prepping otherwise recalcitrant cuts like McC's Dark Star, to perfection.

Peck gave me my first up-market Brit wood, a Ferndown bent billiard, and fishandbanjo gave me my first Meer, an estate billiard carved with grape leaves and grapes. Sometimes, change is good.

As my Dutch brother-in-law says, sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Last edited:
A zebra cannot change its spots. However, change is inevitable... except from vending machines. The only time he opens his mouth is to change feet. Revolution is the abrupt change in misgovernment. My opinion changes with new information, but If you make change out of the offering plate, change will send you to Hell. Everything is always changing. Who moved the cheese? puffy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Yes, you can teach an old pipe smoker new tricks. And it's good to avoid complacency and experiment from time to time, especially with techniques that others have found useful. Before that, however, it's important to be able to apply whatever technique you're using consistently—otherwise every smoke is an experiment LOL.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm regularly trying a crazy "mixture" from my open tins...
Sometimes doesn't matter if it's that "good" or not, just the variety is pleasantly interesting.

Reactions: anotherbob

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I agree. It’s important to experiment. That said I’m enjoying a period of stability if only in pipe smoking: same tobacco, same handful of pipes, same bic lighters, same pack (a bit tight, as I smoke dry ribbon cut or shag). I find that changes in weather, climate (travel), and mood make each smoke different enough for me. I may well enter another experimental stage, but I don’t see it happening soon.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't really have a set way to pack the pipe. It all depends on how I feel that day. Only thing I care about is big air pocket at the bottom. Only routine is polishing the pipe before loading the pipe, and breaking it apart after the smoke for cleaning. Zippo is the main source of the light, but always have a Bic or two in my pocket. New trick? Bet you can't flip the pipe like kids do with cigs.