PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I've been looking to branch out a bit into some burley blends. I really like Latakia blends, but most are light in nicotine. As a cigarette smoker, I'd like to ditch the sticks, but need some blends that have a bit more Vitamin N. Old Joe Krantz came up quite a bit as a pretty good and stout burley based blend, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Wow! I found it very satisfying. A good, hearty smoke and plenty of kick. Anyone have any recs for blends that I might like in this vein?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OJK is a great blend, terrific flavor and a nice even burn. I also like CD's Billy Budd, Pegasus, Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley and others. But OJK and Billy Budd are among the more widely recommended and enjoyed. Billy Budd has some cigar leaf in it and is one of the few blends that uses it really well, though of course, if you want a cigar, smoke a cigar ... this is definitely a pipe smoker blend. To me, CD is a leader in burley blends, along with Russ O. at PC.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The ones mso489 mentions are good choices (never had Pegasus myself), but Haunted Bookshop is another in that vein. If you want Latakia with your high-nic burley, you might give Crowley's Best and Morley's Best a try.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I agree with the blends mentioned by mso489 & pirchfork. If you need more nicotine then try some of the more popular rope blends. Two other blends I find high in nicotine and suited for those trying to quit cigarettes are G&H Dark Birdseye and 5 Brothers, both shag cut blends. Dark Birdseye is a straight Virginia and 5 Brothers is straight burley. Both blends remind me of RYO cigarette tobacco, but taste better.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I've though about getting a couple ounces of brown irish twist to blend with an aromatic or something for a good, coffee in the morning smoke. My only concern is that when I tried it before it was kind of hard to prep and keep lit, and this will need to be something I can smoke while driving in to work in the morning

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I recommend C&D's Burley Flake No.1 for further exploration. Old Joe Krantz is a classic and an enduring tobacco blend love of mine.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If a nic kick is what you're looking for try some Samuel Gawith 1792 and Dunhill Royal Yacht. Both good blends and will fix your nic fit. Neither are Burley blends but meet your nicotine criteria.

Sep 18, 2015
I smoked a few bowls of OJK last week on my drive to work, I was really surprised at the complexity I got from this, I thought it was a bit strong on an empty stomach and switched back to My Mixture for the drive.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Pegasus is a burleys3 with Virginas2 and black cav1. It's really quite nice.

Super Balkan, so far, seems a bit lighter on nicotine than their other more burley forward types, and rightly so, since it has so many other tobacco types, perique, Turkish, and lat, but it's a burley lat with flavor and enough spice and nicotine to make most folks happy.

I think I could become a C&D spokesman if I keep it going like I have. :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Old Joe Krantz came up quite a bit as a pretty good and stout burley based blend, so I thought I'd give it a try.
OJK is great because it's Burley-based, but with a lot of nuance. Consider pursuing other high-Nicotine complex but off-the-beaten-path blends. I like Bayou Evening as well.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Just tried a bowl of this after setting some aside about ten months ago, didn't really care for it then but I enjoyed this. A bit more Perique than I prefer but a nice smoke and a pretty good nic hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.