PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have a bunch of Kingfisher tins....trying to debate whether to pop them or not. Can't beat McClelland and C&d type tins!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
After reading this thread I went down to my basement where my tobacco cellar is and pulled out the 2x tins of ODF that I've been aging (12/2012) and popped both lids and found that both tins had indeed rusted in the same spot others have mentioned. I could actually smell that distinct rust smell even. I immediately transferred about a tin and a half into my last mason jar and had to leave about half of the second tin as is in the tin and hope to smoke through it before it dries out on my. A bummer, but I'm thankful folks discussed this problem on this forum or else I would have never checked.
Has anyone ever had any issues with rusting on any of Mac Baren's other square tins? I've got a couple tins of Navy flake that I'm now a little concerned about.
For those with tins of ODF who feel they are safe due to precautions they have taken to store them in a safe environment you might want to pop the tin off one just to do a spot check. I had kept mine in a temperature/humidity controlled room and still had problems.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Damn I have a tin of this from the Chicago Pipe show when it first came out. I was not planning on opening that tin for a very long time, it is sort of sentimental.
Do you think I should open it? Can you see the rust from the outside or is it just on the inside?

Jul 12, 2011
@Sallow , I would open and jar, you can't see the rust, it is

around the top of the lid and burns through the seal, had

two tins maybe around 6-months old and all of them in

pretty bad shape.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep, I've got a couple tins of ODF. Just popped one a couple days ago and it's rusted exactly like the others mentioned. I guess I'll have to put the other tin in a jar as well.

I wonder why they do that, I've never had any other Mac Baren tins rust, round or square.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I opened both tins, and they had rust all along the lid.

odf1-600x448.jpg

odf2-600x448.jpg

On the bright side, the tobacco smelled fine, and I will smoke a bowl of this tonight, and cellar the rest.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I just bought 2 x 100 g tins of this threw it in the back of my cellar. Looks like this will get jarred up sooner than later.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
All right, set the tin issue aside for a moment.
I had a bowl of this for the first time tonight, I'm glad I opened this. Not as nutty as Solani Aged Burley Flake, not as Kentuckyish as Jack knife, but a good burley woodsey flavor that is fairly unique and not easy to pin down. One minute it tastes like Wessex Burley Slice, then I get a nice Virginia, then I swear I got something reminiscent to one of the G&H twists, that raw straight tobacco flavor.
I am going to keep some of this out and try it in a few different pipes. It is a complex blend that needs some investigation. Thanks, guys.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just checked a tin from 11/12 and 12/12, one from SP and one from PC and like all have stated above it has some rust on the top lid on the underside. Nothing on the bottom of the tin and mine was still sealed and the tobacco was fine. Now I have to go buy jars to transfer 65 3.5 ounce tins and lose a year plus worth of aging. I have never had a round or rectangle tin rust on me even after 10-15 years.
This is so unacceptable that we need to do something. I buy tins so that I can age them in their original container. I do not expect to have to transfer tobacco into jars and incur the extra expense. I am starting a thread in the General smoking room asking MacBaren to respond to this issue. The entire pipe community needs to be made aware of this very serious issue. I am so freaking pissed off right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.