PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
* = Lowest/Worst
:puffy: **** = Highest/Best
Old Codger Burley Shootout- Carter Hall vs. Prince Albert vs. Half and Half vs. Sir Walter Raleigh
--------------------
Carter Hall
Flavor: ****
Nicotine Strength: **
Smoothness: *****
Complexity: **
Room Note: *****
--------------------
Half and Half
Flavor: **
Nicotine Strength: ***
Smoothness: *
Complexity: *
Room Note: **
--------------------
Prince Albert
Nicotine Strength: ****
Smoothness: *****
Room Note: ***
--------------------
Sir Walter Raleigh
Nicotine Strength: ***
Smoothness: **
Room Note: **
--------------------
Fourth Place
Half and Half
I was really disappointed with this one. It was very wet with PG out of the pouch. Even with extensive microwaving, it never dried out. It smoked very harsh and bit. Upon smoking, I got an artificial brown sugar taste. I searched and searched for that natural nutty burley taste, but found very little of it due to so much added flavoring and PG. I cannot see how this heavily-adulterated tobacco gets so many glowing reviews. Reminded me too much of that infernal chemical concoction called Captain Black. Horrible.
Overall Rating: *
Pipe Used: Unfiltered Bent Dublin Briar
Will Buy Again: No
--------------------
Third Place
Sir Walter Raleigh
This blend was a bit better than Half and Half, but not much. It did have slightly less PG, but as with Half and Half, it would not dry out, even after microwaving. It smoked fairly harshly and I again got that artificial brown sugar flavor upon smoking. I was surprised how closely this blend resembled Half and Half regarding smoking characteristics, flavor, and moisture levels. A slightly better version of Half and Half, but not much.
Overall Rating: **
Will Buy Again: No
--------------------
Second Place
Prince Albert
I really enjoyed this blend. Very dry out of the tub and required very little extra drying time. There is practically no PG or flavoring added. This is without a doubt one of the smoothest blends I have ever smoked. Absolutely zero bite or harshness, even after multiple bowls in a row. Flavor for me was anise/black licorice mixed with natural burley. I'm not really crazy about anise and black licorice, but the smoothness and natural burley flavor more than made up for it. Very few relights. Practically smoked itself. Nicotine strength was surprisingly good. Just a bit above medium. Room note wasn't great, but acceptable. Nothing like cigarettes. This is one of the best blends I have ever smoked. Truly a mild, yet satisfying unadulterated all-day blend. I can see why Prince Albert has been popular for more than 100 years.
Overall Rating: ****
Will Buy Again: Yes
--------------------
First Place
Carter Hall
Ah, Carter Hall. Now this is what pipe smoking is all about. Out of the tub, it was a bit moist- slightly more than Prince Albert. First bowl was alright, but I was slightly overwhelmed by the fruity flavoring. "This is too much!" I told myself. BUT, after finishing the first bowl, I decided to give it another chance. This time, I microwaved it for thirty seconds, waited 5 minutes to cool down, and then loaded it up. Wow. Totally transformation. The fruity taste was still there, but much less than before. I was now detecting a pineapple, orange, and coconut flavor which now melded perfectly with the natural nutty burley taste. I mean perfectly. Excellent. I don't know that I have ever enjoyed a blend more than this. It burned so cool and smoothly. Absolutely zero bite or harshness. As with Prince Albert, it practically smokes itself with very few relights. Nicotine strength was between low and medium. Room note was very nice, especially after proper drying in microwave. Seriously. I cannot think of a blend I have enjoyed more (except for maybe Dunhill Ultra Mild). All I can say is that if you didn't like it at first, try microwaving it. I couldn't believe how much it improved after drying. It is affordable and widely available. I have now found my perfect all-day blend. Don't walk- run and get yourself some today.
Overall Rating: *****
Will Buy Again: Absolutely yes

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Welcome to the burley brotherhood :)
We've had a couple of threads about burley. It's not for everyone, but those of us that like it, really like it.
I fell in love with burley on my very first bowl of Mac Baren Golden Extra.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’m not much of a burley smoker, but I do enjoy Carter Hall when the mood strikes me.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Carter-Hall/Carter-Hall-1.5oz-Pouch/product_id/127353 is this the carter hall you're talking about?

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Half and Half was absolutely terrible when I tried it as a new smoker. It's honestly the only blend I have ever tossed down the toilet.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
You never know :P Gotta make sure I'm getting the right stuff!

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I was smoking this decent VA, Latakia, Burley mixture: Bob's Chocolate Flake. I thought it was pretty good, you can taste a little of the chocolateliness.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You forgot Granger... challenge results are null and void until Granger is accounted for. :mrgreen:

How does Prince Albert make it in second place. That is the worst tobacco I've ever smoked. I don't even know how anyone could smoke it. It's terrible. My opinion of course.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been at this for a little more than 3 yrs and focused initially on the codger lines.

I would buy them in the 12 or 14 oz tubs, whichever they were, and give em a go.

I started with SWR. I didn't smoke another codger blend except this for about 3 weeks, and over time I learned to taste it and to pace my smoking.

Remember, I was just starting out.

Next was a tub of PA. At first I thought, nah, this stuff tastes like cardboard. It took me about a third of that tub, smoking it as my codger blend of the 'week' before I realized I was getting nice sweet burley.

I had the same experience with Carter Hall. At first, it wasn't all that, but after several smokes my palate awoke to it's legendary nutty sweet flavors.

The most difficult of the codger blends I've smoked, is Half and Half.

There are several more in this category not mentioned in the original post and some very suitable bulk blends that fit.

Peter Stokkebye's #702 (pressed burley) is one that will please the PA lovers.

C&D is 'renowned' for its burleys, and among the best is Big 'n Burley.

D&R TwoTimer might be a little dry for some, so, just add water! A perfectly superb burley here.

We'll be hearing from one particular fellow in this thread about some French Burley, I'm sure.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
What Metalhead said... Granger is straight burley. I have some 17 year old tubs of Granger, and it's a good smoke. The OP title is either misleading or misinformed, because half of the blends on the list have some Virginia in them. Sir Walter is also all burley, and the aromatic version is pretty darn popular. :mrgreen:

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I like the top three, when I am in the mood.

Am I the only one that likes to take a big Codger scoop and stuff like the old commercials? It's nice to smoke something that never goes out and doesn't care how you pack it. Very classic, forgiving and easy to smoke. :puffpipe:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have been trying the codger blends as well. I love Carter Hall. Nice flavor, great room note. Amphora Red is just terrible (to me). Prince Albert isn't much better. I still have to try Half & Half and Granger. So far, though, it seems CH is my codger blend of choice!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I used to smoke Edgeworth Ready Rub, way back in the day. That was a fine burley taste with just a touch of molasses around the end of the bowl. Lane's new version does not quite do it for me. One of our friends brought some vintage George Washington to the NOLA pipe club meeting the other night; that was a trip down memory lane. Good and nutty, even though there is Virginia in that too. I miss the old Sugar Barrel as well. Gotta try me some Carter Hall.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Got me jonesing for a bowl right now!! Hopefully there is one waiting for me this afternoon, it's real stormy outside though.

I just recently tried Carter Hall and I really enjoy it, Burley is king leaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.