PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panheadjack

Lurker
Mar 31, 2011
Got an Edgeworth six pack (store display) from the 50's. I opened one pkg. and did a bowl just to check it out. I knew the baccy would be real dry and it was. Smoked ok for an old dry blend. Really, not bad. I feel that when this pkg. is re-hydrated it's going to be realy good. So.......... question to you guys is "how do I properly rehydrate antique pipe tobacco." Would really like to savor this venerable old blend in all it's glory. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Its easy.

Go to Walmart, buy a gallon of Distilled Water.

Use NOTHING but distilled.

Open the tin.

Pour about three or four drops onto the tobacco (it doesn't take much).

Replace the lid, let it sit overnight.

If it still seems dry, add a few more drops, and let it sit some more.

Thats all it takes, a little distilled water, and time for it to spread through the tobacco.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Just a notion, and untested by me:

Paper towels are bleached, sometimes dyed, and can (possibly) impart some of that to the tobacco. Being obsessive about these sorts of things, I'd forward baker's cheesecloth as a good, and readily available, clean alternative.

panheadjack

Lurker
Mar 31, 2011
Update. Went to the gro. store and got a bottle of distilled water. Dipped a clean gun cleaning patch into it and wrung out the excess. Found an old Escudo tin and cleaned it with dist. agua. Poured the contents of one of the Edgeworth packs into the tin and placed the damp patch on top. Twisted top on tightly. I'll check it tomorrow. Meantime puffing on Jacks special C.H./P.A./Granger (sometimes half n half) mixture. Let this group marry for awhile in a sealed baggy and it's pretty damn tasty. An old union carpenter taught me that one.

I'll report on the rehydration project soon.

panheadjack

Lurker
Mar 31, 2011
Ok, the rehydration project worked pretty good. Edgeworth got soft and full. Smoked a bowl with my cofee this morning. Good stuff. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.