PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
PS.
Maxim over at pipes2smoke has a few of them left. They are in A+ condition for anyone wondering.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
murica:

Maxim over at pipes2smoke has a few of them left. They are in A+ condition for anyone wondering.
Thanks for that info. I might just get a tin or two (from Toronto)... the favorable exchange rate and all.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
The new Bengal Slices is in my top 5 rotation. I did not have the privilege to try the original.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear it wasn't dried out and smoked well in your cob.
The new Bengal Slices is a fantastic blend. You should scoop up a tin and do a comparison. :puffy:

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I have indeed smoked the fresh.
My thoughts are this. Just like any fresh blend when compared to an old, the edges are softer and the taste a little deeper. There is a zing in the virginias when fresh and a buttery taste and feel to the old. Both have their place.
The latakias are vastly different, but both still great.
I just prefer older tobaccos. I have stuff I have been aging for a good while now. Some out of production blends and some new stuff that I know cellars well. I just prefer all the things that come with older tobacco. YMMV.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
That's beautiful stuff! I love the new version and have quite a bit cellared. One day I'll find a tin of the original to compare it to. Thanks for sharing.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Indeed. Those oblong tins seem to have difficulty remaining sealed over long periods. I guess its all a matter of personal taste although at $149 for a tin for the old stuff thats one heck of a chunk of change. I saw some tins of another quite famous blend thats name escapes me at the Chicago Pipe Show and I was going to pick one up for Dan but when I realized they were not vacuum sealed I decided to give it a miss. Enjoy it!

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
First, the first of the new Bengal Slices: I got a tin when it initially was offered and the tin note was obvious/strong. Others found it distractingly vanilla, etc. I'd go with gingerbread. Awhile later, I followed up with a few more tins. Upon opening a tin from this second (new) batch, the tin note was only present when I actually buried my nose against the squash of crumble cake... so barely noted.
Thanks to murica's post here, I acquired one of the 1982 tins from ex-pat Brit Maxim Engel, now of Toronto. I was shocked by how this tin looked like it was brand new! The contents were intact and just the right moisture for a short airing of a couple of slices. Then into a 1977 Dunhill.
With the new tin note in mind, I went in search of it in the old stock.

My first smoke in the Dunhill was nice: this was certainly aged nicely, but no tin note. I followed in the footsteps of this thread's leader. Instead of a cob -- I have none, and proud of it -- I put the rest of the first bunch into a meerschaum. Holy smoke! In the first puff, there was the tin note I was looking for based on Russ' reintroduction.
As nobody knows less about pipe tobacco than I do, I sent sample flakes from my tin to some guys on this forum: all are flakes themselves...

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
It doesn't work well in a briar. At least not one that I have found. Funny.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Is the new Bengal Slices (which I love) on the FDA cut list because of its recent release? I really hope I don't live another 30 years but I think if I'm judicious I can get a few years of aging on what I have cellared.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
That looks absolutely divine. I wish I could get my hands on something like that, happy smoking friend!

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
As a revival, I'm willing to share the rest of the tin with two more members. Theres enough for two members to get a good three bowls.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
First off, many thanks to snowyowl for sending me a sample to smoke. The sample was of the James B Russel version of Bengal Slices, which was made by A & C Peterson, and which differs from the original Sobrainie version.
The flake had a nice amount of bloom, and though dry, wasn't by any means dried out. It was at the optimum moisture for smoking. Bengal Slices always reminds me of good barbeque, smoky, spicy, sweet, and tangy. In that respect, the sample did not disappoint. The Latakia was still present, though much reduced in strength from fresh. This wasn't a bad thing, as the lessened Latakia allowed the savory Orientals and other components to carry more of the flavor. Added to this was a tanginess that reminded me of red Virginia, though I don't know that any red was used in the blend.
Altogether this was a very pleasant smoke and I was happy to make its acquaintance again. The new SToP version hits all of the notes, including that "good barbeque" flavor, and won't break your pocket book. Russ did an excellent job of matching the Russel version.

Status
Not open for further replies.