PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
All of the links are new to me. The 78rpms and Cylinder Recordings is something I will be spending some time looking through https://archive.org/details/78rpm The George Blood collection has some I am already looking forward to and I have barely started browsing it. Thanks for sharing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: The Twilight Zone radio show was many years after the series ended, starting in 2002. Rod Serling hosted a show called The Zero Hour, which ran from 1973-74.
I'm not familiar with the Chicago country music show "Suppertime Frolics" or a big band show "from the Aragon Ballroom at the top of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Was there much talk in between numbers with regular cast members?

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
I love lum and Abner...recently listened to one about them wanting to start a nursery. Lum was talking about a greenhouse and Abner thought a daycare... laughed my ass off... simple comedy without trying....great!

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
You are correct doc I should have given Mr. Conrad his due and he is ubiquitous on the old radio programs for good reason. I meant to say that whenever I hear that voice, I get the mental picture of Frank Cannon and curiously enough he is wearing a plaid jacket in that picture. And +1 for Johnny Dollar.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This Website (RadioHorrorHosts.com Index) has an Index of radio horror series, some with links to individual shows. Note that this is the same Website which had the information concerning Mr. Serling's The Zero Hour series.
A particular favorite is Bradbury 13 which features stories by Ray Bradbury, and which are read by legendary voice-actor Paul Frees. There are links there to all 13 shows.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Auburnfan: one of the funniest scenes in Lum & Abner was when they held a trial in the barn because Cedric was being sued for breach of promise. The sound effects are a scream.
Being a big William Conrad fan (watching Cannon right at this moment), his version of Matt Dillon is the definitive one for me. In the post WW2 era, Conrad's voice was one of the most ubiquitous. For a good laugh, you should listen to the rehearsal for "The New Hotel". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAYtCOQdvg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks, "Suppertime Frolic" had a D.J. but the music was all recorded, and as I recall, pretty good, Hank Williams, etc. The Aragon Ballroom show had live big band music, and my recollection is that the commentary and interviews were with visiting celebrities rather than the musicians themselves, maybe an occasional vocalist with the band, but local pols and supposedly namey business folks. The bands were top notch if not always big name. Long after the show ended, I remember seeing the hotel from the bus going downtown, a skyscraper in the midst of lower buildings, and then one day it was gone, demolished. It outlived its use as a hotel.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I had somehow missed the news of Dick Orkin's passing. A true giant of radio and advertising; his work was a part of my youth. I especially loved listening to the Tooth Fairy when I was a kid, and a few years ago bought the complete set from Dan O'Day (who had permission to sell it, along with the complete Chickenman, from Orkin/Radio Ranch).
RIP Dick Orkin

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
In case anyone wants to listen in, our Old Time Radio show just started. Go to http://kdth.radiodubuque.com/ and ckick on "Listen Live" on the top right.
Jack Benny is just starting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.