PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
mcitinner wrote:
Can't agree with this one. The airplane, telegraph, telephone, vaccines, standards of hygiene, Van Gogh, Mahler, The Beatles, Vampire Weekend, Cirque de Soleil, e. e. cummings, Jean Paul Sartre, Einstein, Chopin, Stravinsky, Woodstock, the moon landing, the Brooklyn bridge, the Eiffel Tower, Tolkein, Ida Rolf, Ansel Adams, Buster Keaton, Lew Gehrig, Alvin C. York, and a billion other disparate achievements by a billion other staggeringly gifted minds, more than contradicts that notion.
Well done.
I tend to go with Ecclesiastes -- there's nothing new under the sun, but not in the despairing way that Solomon meant it. Rather, the sense that no particular age has a monopoly on beauty or scandal or heroism or hate or any of it. People. Then, now, tomorrow.

Dec 24, 2012
What the hell are you old goats going on about?
Because I don't really want to be flogged at work all day, while pushing rocks over dead bodies of my friends and family, just to appease some ruler.
This sounds like my job, provided you substitute "client" for "ruler".

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Socks with sandals is confidence and letting the world know I don't give a f...
So it really is expressing a statement, not much about comfort or fashion :clap:

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I'm speechless...
I come to this website for my daily dose of misguided old man gripes about how much better it was yesteryear. Short-sighted nostalgia for a time misremembered as happier, healthier, more honest, and more fair. And the not-so-thinly veiled call for armed revolt against the democratically elected government that paves their roads, cleans their water, educates their children, and is the standard bearer for open and free elections, and peaceful transfer of power from one governing administration to the next, regardless of political differences. That's why I'm here!
Instead, what do I find??? A bunch of open-minded and forward thinking people who seem excited for the future??? Acknowledging that we currently live in the safest, cleanest, healthiest, most free, most secure time in all of human history??? Encouraging young people to continue breaking boundaries of discovery in all realms??? The faint whiff of, gulp, tolerance???
Somebody had better threaten to violently overthrow the government in the next few posts or I'm outta here!!!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Instead, what do I find??? A bunch of open-minded and forward thinking people who seem excited for the future??? Acknowledging that we currently live in the safest, cleanest, healthiest, most free, most secure time in all of human history??? Encouraging young people to continue breaking boundaries of discovery in all realms??? The faint whiff of, gulp, tolerance???
Somebody had better threaten to violently overthrow the government in the next few posts or I'm outta here!!!
Do you want an armed rebellion, Lana? Because that's how you get an armed rebellion.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Now that said, I'll be damned if anyone is going to accuse me of being anything but a cranky old man and get away with it. There are some things -- like sentences that end in prepositions -- up with which I will not put.
I'll have my seconds meet your seconds to set the time and place.

Status
Not open for further replies.