PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The type of tobacco smoked also dictates the frequency a pipe can be used. If you smoke a wetter tobacco (typically aromatics) the rest time needs to be increased. I smoke two bowls from the same pipe when I'm on vacation/traveling, but I always run a cleaner thru after each bowl and wipe the bowl with a paper towel. YRMV.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I think this depends on the blends you smoke and the specific pipe we're talking about. I have briars that can easily 3-4 bowls a day before needing a couple of days' rest, while some really only seem to like a single bowl. Overall, though, I don't think briar is at all fragile or finicky. It can take a lot of abuse before it complains. I grew up around guys who smoked all day every day had only 2 -3 pipes in their "rotation." Mind you, they were smoking mostly old-school burley blends, and those blends seem easier on a briar than the boutique blends that many of us favor. Just my two cents, of course -- I really don't think there is a straightforward answer to this. Just experiment and do what works for you!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Samreddevilz -- I've been doing exactly that for 20-plus years and have never experienced any type of "harm" at all to my pipes. Heck, when I first started out I would smoke 3 to 4 bowls a day from the same pipe for several consecutive days. Those same briars are still in my rotation, and are among my best smokers.
How exactly do you think it harms a briar?

Status
Not open for further replies.