PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
2wf16.jpg

I was looking through old Castello ads and stumbled across this one and thought what the thread title says.
The Gayest Pipe In Your Collection
And the one beside the miniature Wally Frank peasant pipe.
GAY TASSELS
Yes I know, i am childish and immature, but i found the ad amusing and found it funny how the term was widely used 50 years ago and how it is used today. It leads me to wonder how the original word gay, obviously meaning happy, came to mean another word for homosexual. Not trying to be controversial or start any arguments about homosexuality at all so please don't take it that way, just making an observation in good fun.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Funny, I enjoy '40s music and hear the word "gay" used in place of "happy" all the time, so it's not unusual to me. However, I got to admit, I laughed out loud at the usage here - both cases are pretty darn funny!
I think this warrants a new thread:
Show the Gayest Pipe in Your Collection!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Six, immediately after posting this i considered editing to include the EXACT question you bolded, but my ADD kicked in and i forgot about it. Great minds think alike, i guess, haha. Thanks for completing the post! :D
So Everyone, What Is The Gayest Pipe In Your Collection?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
That ad is so funny I'm having a hard time making up puns about it.
Carry on gentlemen...

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah man, I like the first line in the ad, "Stock up now-you'll be glad you did", that's for sure.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, here's mine, although it's only got one tassel. Got it as a gift in the early 90s, and just can't part ways with it for sentimental reasons. It's not only gay, but quite festive too, ya? I think I need a stein of beer now.... :lol:

img_0255-388x600.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I know. We aren't supposed to talk about certain things, but why this can't be discussed, I don't know. The OP asked a question, so I will answer him based on my experience and thinking.

The term Gay was chosen by the homosexual community in the mid 80's to describe themselves, hoping that the populace at large would stop thinking of them as deviants, queers, faggots, etc. A nice happy sounding name could make them so much more acceptable to mainstream society. And it worked.

Personally I think they took a great word and ruined it. You no longer read about people being gay or happy times described that way, without thinking they are talking about homosexuals. Now they can write children's books, and have them accepted into schools without much of a challenge. Gay sounds so nice, doesn't it?

Yep. Propaganda, spun the right way, is very effective. If this post makes anyone feel uncomfortable, that just shows how effective political correctness has become. I am not one to shy away from speaking my mind. I will be polite, but if you want to know how I feel on a subject, just ask.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a bunch of old magazines from the 1950's with tons of old advertisements. Gay is used frequently. My fav, " Take the gayest cruise of your life." An ad referring to a vacation cruise ship. If seeing these old ads don't make you laugh, you need to loosen up.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Frankenstein, I only smoked the pipe once when I got it, and have never smoked it again. The bowl wants to pop out of the fitting too easy, the little stem is not comfortable in the mouth, and it's a bear to clean. Apologies to the maker, but I see it as just a display piece. I'd rather have a Castello for sure! :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe the "s" in lesbian is sounded as a "z." Don't know why?
I remember the term "gay" being a term for homosexual used when I was in high school, wayyyyyyy back in the 1960s. Hardly new! I have no idea when the term was co-opted, but in my teens it was used as a derogatory epithet.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I'm all for gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot. :twisted:
But seriously: I'm just sick as hell of hearing about what everyone is doing with their genitals. Since when did our society become so damn crass? Good grief.. A Presbyterian pastor friend of mine recently "came out." Now there are pictures of him all over Facebook with his boyfriend. DUDE!! I don't want to know this about my PASTOR!
I don't care who's gay, lesbian, bi, transgendered, hermaphrodite, blah blah blah. Good grief... :x

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Has no one noticed the gay pipe, with the gay tassels, when smoked, puts 2 balls on your chin?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"You will never see that again , that's for sure "
What a gay pipe? I think with all the States passing gay rights legislation it is only logical that the next step will be to advocate for gay pipe rights.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
What if my Latakia pipe wants to marry my Va/Per pipe? or move next door to my aro pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.