PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a Dunhill guy, but I will end up buying a Castello. The make a seriously nice squat straight bulldog.... If I can ever find one for sale. I've only seen photos.

shotime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
does a castello pipe smoke that much better, then other brands, some day i would like to try one,wouuld you buy new or estate thanks who is good to buy from.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Out of 9 pipes I have yet to find one that did not smoke well, and most were great. As I said above I have had a few stems replaced but that is my issue, not the pipes.
New or estate is a personal decision.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
does a castello pipe smoke that much better, then other brands, some day i would like to try one,wouuld you buy new or estate thanks who is good to buy from.

Castello's made in the Kino era feature a 4.3mm airway. Most pipes vary between 3.1-4mm. While it is a small difference, it is perceptible and does impact smoking in a meaningful way. Whether this is positive or negative on balance is determined by the smoker.
Less tangible is the quality of the wood. The briar is seasoned for around 10 years before carving. The seasoning lends the briar a bit of flavor which comes across to me as chestnut and is unique to castello ime, which is limited.
So big airway, good wood and pretty designs, that's what you get for your Castello bux. I like 'em, I buy 'em but I do likewise with a bunch of other pipes. So far my castello rack is free of stinkers and that keeps me coming back. Wish my track record with individual artisan pipe makers was as good.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Brad, looks like your choices in pokers are all aces, Castello and Ferndown. I have almost the exact twin to the Ferndown (Mine was one he made for James Barber Tobacconists with a plain band). I love the slight bend to the Castello.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's mine ... both Sea Rock KKK, top is shape #19 and bottom is #32:
16%2B-%2B1

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I own one Castello Old Antiquari that used to be my father's. I also have an old Caminetto and a few Ascortis, so all I need now is a Radice to close the "Castello Circle". Always hunting for Castellos as the one I have is by far my best pipe! Welcome to Nirvana, Red!

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Hello everybody,

I have one Castello in my small pipe collection (started pipe smoking just a year ago), its a shape #55, absolutely amazing smoker, no any problems since a first bowl. For a while I a had same problem as Redpanda mentioned, I couldn't smoke other pipes.

I was just browsing eBay and there is a Castello, that looks rather as a questionable Castello: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castello-C-3-Made-In-Cantu-Italy-Excellent-Light-Pipe-/401112827958?hash=item5d64300836:g:3NAAAOSwNSxVa~P5

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The stem is stamped and the pipe shaping looks mostly right. It's probably legit, though I would like to see the stamping on the body regardless of how weak. That said, the bin price isn't too far of a stretch from a new castello. If you have any concerns ask the seller or look elsewhere. My take, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.