PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I finished this one up last evening and just wanted to share a few pics. Bent Dublin is my favorite shape. It has a smooth, carnauba wax finish. The rim has some very nice birds-eye and the only flaw is a very small cosmetic pit on the left hand side at the bottom near the bowl/shank interface. It's a heavy, largish pipe. That being said, here are the specs.

Smooth Bent Dublin

Length: 6.0”

Height: 2.375"

Chamber diameter: 0.75”

O.D.: 1.875”

Bowl depth: 1.85"

Stem Material: vulcanite

Delrin Tenon

Pass a pipe cleaner: Yes

Sock/glove: yes

Shape: Bent Dublin

Finish: Smooth – Carnauba wax only

Weight: 70.9grams 2.5oz
fLEmaSS.jpg

JdkREMN.jpg

uSIVbkH.jpg

Kv96ahm.jpg

UyRyHBe.jpg

fy9JNne.jpg

zb003yp.jpg

2OfG5uo.jpg

Gp5we6v.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you folks for the comments and kind words. This one was interesting. Several times I thought I was going to lose this one for sure but managed to correct the mistake of the moment each time. The rim is an example of that. When I had it chucked up on the lathe and had drilled the chamber, I thought, "this is way too big and awkward." I wasn't about to un-chuck it so I took my coping saw and thought what the heck, and decided to cut it down. The coping saw had a mind of it's own. Actually it was operator error because the coping saw drifted on me. When I saw what it looked like after I had cut off the piece I wanted to cut off, I thought this is interesting; I think I can work with this. So I turned it a bit more on the lathe and then just worked the rim starting with 180grit paper progressing up to 600grit and well, you can see the result. I was going to pull the shank in more at the shank/bowl interface to make it skinnier but decided to live with it at the point it is. I was fearful of running out of briar and going through the airway which, I have done in the past a few times too many. The finishing was coin toss as well. I'm color blind so I always have to ask my wife what colors go with what. I have three chunks of 6" scrap that I dabbed some stain on with the stains that I have and let my wife have a look and tell me what she thinks would look best with what. I generally can't distinguish the different colors and have to be careful when applying. Sometimes I use a product called 'Wood Turner's Finish' made by General Finishing. It is water based and is used by wood turners to make salad, soup, and dinner bowls and it finishes to a very hard, brilliant finish. I like it at times but I also like just a standard carnauba wax finish which is what this one is. I also forgot to put my 3/32" brass rod in this one. And last but not least; I don't know why I did it, but I put my stamp on before my last coat of top stain. That was a real DUH moment. Dumb-ass me.

tschiraldi, just for fun and laughs and since you asked:

Look here:

http://www.christopherpipes.com/bdjune292017.html
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.