Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hmmm, how many of you plan to participate in the November Crawl? I ask because we're not getting the nominations for blends and the general participation is way down. Maybe it is time to take a break?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
2b0cd568303d7674e6350d8f600d0e487a428d75501399a0d403c0fd9116ce01.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
No, just need to confirm tin share folks. You want in on that again? I'll PM Lincolnsbark, Ruger and Eightywon.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Of course, @brass. I've gotten confirmation one tin share member is sitting out this month.
Now, onto the McClelland's Va Flake 2015
Good stuff. McClelland's never disappoints as far as I'm concerned. The broken flakes require a rubbing and airing out period, which is no surprise. But once it is ready to go you're in for a treat. It has the ketchupy tin note that is familiar to those who smoke McC blends and they always select well tempered leaf for their blends. Once I got it going it was smooth, sweet, grassy sailing. The Perique doesn't play a major role in the flavor profile, but you can tell it is there with an occasional sharp whisp of dry pepper that comes and goes. Overall it is a solid VaPer that tastes quite a bit like Escudo but with a slightly less bold flavor.
I have some jars of this in my cellar aging already, and for good reason. This is some good leaf and bulk pricing can't be beat.
Try it and save some (or a lot) for later.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hey all, just wanted to check in and unfortunately think I will be sitting out this month as well. Between starting a new job/weddings/and the colder weather I have not been having as many bowls as I would like so I think I'll just be taking a month hiatus. I will continue to check in obviously as I have grown to enjoy everyone's opinions and respect everyone's tastes in tobacco.
Best,

LB

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I liked the McClelland. The perique is so minimal, I would not likely have identified it as a VaPer in a blind test. I will likely stock up on a few ounces when I order next.
Having tried several this month, I must say that I haven't smoked any that I liked better than Orlik Golden Sliced, which is another blend that is priced very reasonably.
Ok, for November, let's fill out the Balkan choices. These were those nominiated or mentioned as candidates. I'm good with the list as is. Are we all good with this or does someone have another they would strongly like to see. Discussion ends COB today so that we can get our orders in.
1. SG Balkan Flake

2. Frog Morton Bayou

3. MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian

4. Sutlif Balkan Luxury

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've heard back from nobody on my tin share list except @lincolnsbark ... so it could be a month of practically no participation.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
With the holidays approaching, it may just get worse. You and I can trudge along or we can take a break through the holidays and pickup after the New Year. What would you like to do?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Gents.
I've had no time to smoke, much less reflect, consider, review and discuss tobaccos. So I'm voluntarily withdrawing from the group smoke.
Have fun, lads.
Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm fine grabbing new smokes, we can just tin share and talk to each other about it via a two man thread, lol.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
No Crawl until January - or Maybe the Spring
The holidays are approaching and participation is lagging, so I'm calling a break on the crawls for now.
However, the education has been fabulous and I've had an opportunity to develop an appreciations for the expertise and generosity of all who participated.
I, for one, believe that the exposure to blends over the last several months was worth several years of haphazard experience.
Special thanks toi CmdrMcBragg for handling Tin Master duties.
Note that I don't own a copyright to the Tobacco Crawl idea. Anyone is free to initiate and organize a crawl on any theme at anytime. Just please be sure to PM so that I can join.
God bless and best wishes to you all and enjoy your holidays.
Smoke safely.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
No worries, @brass. I've enjoyed the cruise up and down pipe tobacco boulevard, trying all the different blends we've chosen the last few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.