PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
mlaug-probably just what those old Ben Wades and Preben Holms need, I ordered some too, Thanks for the link Kevin

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Let's hope so. I'm a sucker for anything new too, which doesn't help my willpower. :lol:
I'm looking forward to giving John's stuff a shot. I think its important to have a clean looking stem for a highly anal retentive personal reason. Everyone else may or may not agree.
A well maintained stem looks clean and inviting to the mouth. I've seen others show off pics of pipes with a yellowish green cast and a "slobber line" and although we know what causes it and it doesn't turn us off...others see a dirty stinking pipe and can't imagine why/how anyone could stick that in their mouth. I remember reading in Gary Schrier's book that pipemen are represenative of a certain class of fellow. We are ambassadors. We don't want to be the dirty smokers...cigerette smokers get that rap. We need people to see us smoking something they would want to put in their own mouth. Maybe some day they will, too.
I'm very careful not to beaver up my stems and I keep them shiny and clean. People will often comment on a beautiful pipe, but I imagine they mutter something else to their friends if they see otherwise.
We don't want to be the oblivious smokers either.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
What is in it that seals the vulcanite, and keeps the sulfer from coming thru to the outside ? Wouldn't olive oil do the same thing ?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Thanks for the push Kevin!
Schmitz, I'll look tonight and see what the charges are to ship to Canada. I don't see any reason not to ship there.
rich, There are a number of reasons to use it instead of olive oil. The main is that its specifically designed to work with the rubber base of vulcanite stems. It won't oxidize like olive oil will (Olive oil will eventually oxidize and go rancid ((I also won't use olive oil on the wood of the pipe. Any kind of oil will clog the pores of the briar causing a hotter smoke.)) Also, it doesn't have the olive oil taste which is great on a salad or for cooking but I don't want to taste it while I smoke. It contains small amounts of organic grade UVA/UBA properties which will help keep the stem darker for longer.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
You guys were reading my mind!I have been thinking of how I could keep my stems looking "Dapper".Im making an order also! :worship:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I got my order in today's mail. Thanks for the fast shipping! I'm really looking forward to giving this a try.
Thanks again Haunted!

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
I'm giving this product a try. Read about it here in the forum and believe it will be a good addition to my gathering paraphernalia for keeping my pipes sweet smoking and good looking. Just ordered and will be waiting for the mail carrier's delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.