PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
This is probably old news to you guys, but I just found out that tobacconists in Canada can't ship to other provinces, except with great difficulty.
Same with alcohol. It's pretty ridiculous. Producers within our nation can't send their products directly to consumers across provincial borders, at least not legally. Not as though there are border patrol agents or check stops as you travel across the country though. It's all about government monopoly and taxation. Liquor control. The Americans on this sight might be surprised to learn you can only buy alcohol (for the most part) from the provincial corporations that control it. I wonder how the provinces are dealing with all the other illicit and/or legal substances that are flying across borders through the mail. Probably, enforcement is non-existent. But I can see why if you're a reputable business, you wouldn't want to risk selling tobacco out of province.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Exactly. If you are not receiving what you paid for, dispute the charge. Enough of that and vendors will ship what you pay for.
The problem is, I really WANT the stuff I ordered. I keep hoping that this will resolve and I will get my stuff. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet.

I have another order with them just sitting in my shopping cart for over $300. Obviously I am not going to send it in til this order is delivered.

I'm due to go to Maine in November. Maybe I could have an order sent there. 2 people - 400 grams each. Plus pipe stuff.

What is a good US tobacconist that has an exhaustive supply of tobacco and pipe gear?

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
The problem is, I really WANT the stuff I ordered. I keep hoping that this will resolve and I will get my stuff. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet.

I have another order with them just sitting in my shopping cart for over $300. Obviously I am not going to send it in til this order is delivered.

I'm due to go to Maine in November. Maybe I could have an order sent there. 2 people - 400 grams each. Plus pipe stuff.

What is a good US tobacconist that has an exhaustive supply of tobacco and pipe gear?
smokingpipes.com, tobaccopipes.com

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

I can confidently tell you that if you be patient, your order will arrive. (UNLESS of course your package was intercepted by customs and it contained tobacco, then you are at their mercy) but I have ordered from 4noggins literally a hundred times and they have always arrived. Just be patient

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I second that. I went and looked at 4noggins. They don't offer super saver shipping like smokingpipes does. If you're going to have to pay duty anyway...may as well pay less for shipping. Sometimes you luck out and don't get dinged. @Beowoulf, it sounds like you placed an inordinately large order and if 4n has actually followed through and posted it, it's likely to get flagged at the border. A steady trickle is a safer way to to stock your cellar imho.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
This is probably old news to you guys, but I just found out that tobacconists in Canada can't ship to other provinces, except with great difficulty. I was looking over a few of them and noted that there were no prices or ordering mechanism. I live in Quebec and was trying to order from other provinces.

In an email, Burlington on Whyte tobacconists (in Alberta) told me:
"It comes down to each Province having its own taxation structure and them wanting their cut. We would have to have separate stores of tobacco for each province along with the appropriate licensing for each province in order to ship across provincial borders."

So I guess I have to buy from Quebec tobacconists only. A well-known and much heralded tobacconist, Blatter & Blatter, are right here in Montreal. I guess I'll be paying them a visit.

On a side note, still no word from 4noggins. I've been calling them 3 or 4 times a day. Always goes to the machine. My online credit card statement, though, shows they took the money with no problem on October 9th. ($193 Canadian dollars!) I don't care if they are having difficulties fulfilling my order. I am a reasonable guy. But as with all matters, it is the silence that is most maddening.
Funny thing is when you made this post I was in Montreal. Not funny ha but funny ironic. Stopped by Blatter and Blatter. With the costs and regulations I don't know how they do it.

Reactions: Beowoulf

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York

Are you driving or flying to Maine? I presume driving. If so I would respectfully suggest shipping it there from a better vendor and try not declaring it.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
40 CAN for a 50 gram house blend. Close
FOR A HOUSE BLEND??? I plan to visit Blatter's soon. I'm afraid of what I will find.

An aside ... I was checking up on the Canadian duty on pipe tobacco. After your first 50 grams, the duty is about $6 per 50 grams after that! Good Lord! I didn't realize things had gotten that bad!

I just had a thought... I live near an Indian reservation. Prices are low and there is no duty at all! I bought pipe tobacco there years ago. I'll have to check it out.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Are you driving or flying to Maine? I presume driving. If so I would respectfully suggest shipping it there from a better vendor and try not declaring it.
Being the scoff-law that I am, I'd be tempted to try it. But, my travelling partner is a real scaredy-cat. If I tried to sneak tobacco past Customs, there would be hell to pay. And if I got caught, they'd probably flag my passport for life!

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Being the scoff-law that I am, I'd be tempted to try it. But, my travelling partner is a real scaredy-cat. If I tried to sneak tobacco past Customs, there would be hell to pay. And if I got caught, they'd probably flag my passport for life!
Make sure you buy something at Duty Free and declare that.

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
FOR A HOUSE BLEND??? I plan to visit Blatter's soon. I'm afraid of what I will find.

An aside ... I was checking up on the Canadian duty on pipe tobacco. After your first 50 grams, the duty is about $6 per 50 grams after that! Good Lord! I didn't realize things had gotten that bad!

I just had a thought... I live near an Indian reservation. Prices are low and there is no duty at all! I bought pipe tobacco there years ago. I'll have to check it out.
6 dollars a tin isn't horrible. If you order from say Tobaccopipes.com and have it shipped to where you are staying. Not ideal but still better then nothing.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
I have posted this info on another thread. I am posting this here too because the topic kinda got split off onto this thread.
Update on my 4noggins order:
Spoke with Jeff on the phone at 4noggins. He checked my order and was mystified as to how it remained unfulfilled all this time. Said he would get right on it and the order would go out today. 4noggins is still solvent.
All's well that ends well.

Reactions: vink