PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I was just sitting around the work bench, having a good 'ol evening smoke...needed a tamper, so made one up with some nuts, bolts and rubber electrical tape :puffy:
thesmokindragon-nutsnboltstamper2-600x548.jpg

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I kind of like the functionality of it.
I used to have a magic czech tool that I could never lose. Whenever I thought I lost it, the thing would appear again out of nowhere. Then one day someone stole my lunch bag that had my czech tool, pipe and Birkenstocks in it. Since then I am lucky to keep a tamper more than a week.
My latest home made tamper
20140624_204646_zps4bexy1zh.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's slick! I've used a bolt a time or two to make the tip of a tamper but never to make the whole thing!

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Gents...pretty quick/simple way to crank out a tamper :puffy:
Now since they also have a multi-color electrical tape pack ; Red, Blue, White, Green, Yellow, Orange, etc. I can see myself trying other styles and color combinations...I already have friends/family asking for them 8O

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nice job, functional, and that's all that is needed. Never understood the need for anything fancy for simply tamping down a wee bit of ash and something that can easily be lost, and or easily misplaced. To me, spending anything more than a few bucks on a tamper is akin to placing pearls on a pig. The pig doesn't need it, much less care. :wink:

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for the feedback Gents :clap:
Having WAY too much fun making these tampers 8O
cylon.jpg

TheSmokinDragon's Nuts-N-Bolts ~ Cylon Tamper ~

thesmokindragon-nuts-n-bolts-cylon-tamper-590x600.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Very clever, you have serious creative aptitude man. If you should ever decide to start making those custom cobs again, pm me. I still want one.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Stainless steel bolt spacers work, too, if you get one that's for a small diameter bolt . So would a carriage bolt. You could also get a bolt offset (a threaded spacer, so to speak) and screw in a carriage bolt.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
They would look great paired with a nimrod lighter. They kind of have the same aesthetic.

Mar 1, 2014
I would probably just dull the tip on a large nail and call it good.

The Cylon Tamper is cool though.
For now I am enjoying the Vauen tamper ($10 at Smokingpipes), the extension mechanism is completely unnecessary (and it's horribly expensive compared to a nail), but it does the trick if you like adding as much engineering as possible to the simplist things and appreciate the sound of bits of metal clanking together.

Leave it to the Germans...

Status
Not open for further replies.