PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

demian_dec

Lurker
Mar 6, 2024
NRW, Germany
Good evening fellow pipe smokers!

As I mentioned in my previous thread about flake tobacco clogging problem, I got quite sick - that being, an annoying cold. I'm armed with all kinds of pills, powders and sprays against it, and downing boiling hot ginger-lemon tea with honey. Couldn't help but wonder if it is possible - not that there's a medical reason, I just noticed like it sort of numbs my throat a little in the past - to nuke that sore throat with strong tobacco? Say, Rustica with Latakia/Perique/Kentucky and a bit of Burley on top?
I understand how whimsical the question is, I just can't get the idea out of my head, but am not sure if smoking a lot during cold is going to cut in aiding it at the same time.

Thanks in advance,
Demian

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Got it included in each meal in substantial amounts, along with raw garlic and hot pepper :)
Cayenne pepper would definitely help. Well played!

To be more accurate, onions help more during the onset of a cold than later. Whenever I start getting the runny nose and the sneezes that portend a cold I reach for my homoeopathic chest and promtly take a dose of Allium cepa, 30C. Within 6 hours the symptoms stop and the cold never happens.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
There are dozens of healthy actions to take / partake, but most are gradual in effect and won't typically make haste in symptomatic change...
Several replied avoiding smoking with a sore throat, but you didn't mention a sore throat.
Just go with your instinct and partake or refrain as you see fit and consider it to be an experiment for your personal constitution.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good evening fellow pipe smokers!

As I mentioned in my previous thread about flake tobacco clogging problem, I got quite sick - that being, an annoying cold. I'm armed with all kinds of pills, powders and sprays against it, and downing boiling hot ginger-lemon tea with honey. Couldn't help but wonder if it is possible - not that there's a medical reason, I just noticed like it sort of numbs my throat a little in the past - to nuke that sore throat with strong tobacco? Say, Rustica with Latakia/Perique/Kentucky and a bit of Burley on top?
I understand how whimsical the question is, I just can't get the idea out of my head, but am not sure if smoking a lot during cold is going to cut in aiding it at the same time.

Thanks in advance,
Demian
nicotine kills micro organisms.

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
I've heard of more than one person smoking (inhaling) mullein leaf for a cold. Apparently it doesn't burn very well, but the people who smoke mullein leaf generally don't smoke much and only want to get a half dozen inhales anyway.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Also a highly effective poison (extremely potent vasoconstrictor) for humans, if delivered in the right dose !
Oh it is good we suck at absorbing the stuff. If you took even the nicotine in a small bowl of the weakest blend and put it into your system quickly it would be fatal or nearly so if you're lucky. We basically get the tiniest percentage of the nicotine from smoking, dipping, or snuffing tobacco.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Oh it is good we suck at absorbing the stuff. If you took even the nicotine in a small bowl of the weakest blend and put it into your system quickly it would be fatal or nearly so if you're lucky. We basically get the tiniest percentage of the nicotine from smoking, dipping, or snuffing tobacco.
Nicotine is much more readily absorbed through mucous membranes (ie oral or nasal) rather than if swallowed
Hence with nicotine gum, you're told to chew a bit, then park the gum in your cheek. Then repeat
And not to chew like you're chewing gum and swallow.

Reactions: warren

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
There are certain mild colds that I find smoking helps me feel less miserable, and other colds/flus that I know it would only add to the misery so I put the pipe down till its over.

Reactions: greeneyes