Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
I have been a pipe smoker since December but I only smoke once a day and about 3 or 4 days a week. I have some beautiful briar pipes (Stamwells and WO Larsen's) but my pleasure comes from my cobs. None of the briars smoke as cool or as tasty as the cobs to the point that I use my briars mostly as eye candy (I do love the beautiful grains and polish.) Is my experience unusual?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
No doubt, at least in my mind, that cobs are indeed great burners. I have my share of both cobs and briars, albeit not nearly as many as most have, but enough to keep me happy seeing that I only smoke an average of about two bowls a day. By all means enjoy your cobs, but also take the time to give those briars a chance once in awhile. :wink:

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
That sounds like good advice Phil. It may depend to some extent on the tobaccos I'm smoking. Lane 1-Q is my favorite and I could be happy if I never had anything else. I also have some Mississippi River which is a close second to 1-Q, Captain Black which I bought at the local Walgreens before my other tobacco got in and finally a Burley stocked by my local B&M which he calls Sunset Burley and he stocks it in bulk. I don't know to what extent the tobacco affects my pipes if it does at all.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Your experience is not at all unusual. I have way too many briars and way too many cobs, but my cobs see a lot more action. If it wasn't for the fact that English blends don't do well in cobs for me, I probably would be an exclusive cob smoker by now.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Did you buy your briars new? A new pipe isn't always a great smoker at first. They can taste funny or bitter. Sometimes they sap the flavor of the tobacco. It takes a while to season a new briar pipe but when you break one in properly, there's no contest.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Is there a typical or average number of bowls that it takes to "season" or "break-in" a new briar pipe?

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
Dave, your question provided me with some insight and a red face. I have a Stanwell Delux which I bought new and have smoked a couple of times. The only really cheap pipe is a Dr. Grabow Regal I got off ebay because it is really pretty and which I have also smoked a couple of times. Now for the red face part. I have two beautiful WO Larsen's which I bought as estate pipes from Dave Neeb and which I have never smoked. I also have a Stanwell Apache I got from Dave which I have also never smoked. I have never smoked them because they are so pretty I wanted to have plenty of experience with pipe smoking generally so I would know how to treat them and keep them looking good. The long and short of it is I really haven't given my briars enough of a chance to say they aren't as good as my cobs. Boy, is my face red! In spite of all this I should say that my Missouri Meerschaum cobs still provide me with nothing but cool and pleasant smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs and briars are my pipes, with about four pipes made out of Mountain Laurel. I learned with a briar, so I'm not partial to cobs over briar, but both are great. I've evaded Meerschaum only because I don't want to launch a whole new pipe acquisition disorder. I think you'll enjoy the briars once you get accustomed to them.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
After considering the advice given by several members I decided I should give my briars another try. Talk about surprise, OH MY. The estate Dr. Grabow gave me as fine a smoke as I've had since I started. The Stanwell was also pleasant but gave evidence that it needed a bit more break in. I realized that the difference I was experiencing was because in the six months since I started I've learned a bit about how to smoke a pipe. It is really nice to puff on a briar and in between puffs hold it in my hand so I can admire the beauty. Thanks to those of you who provided some really good advice.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoke cobs half the time. To me there is no difference between how they and briars smoke except that cobs are drilled wide open while briars, of many manufacturers, differ in the size of the airway. I also prefer the beautiful finishes and shapes of briars, but in the end it is my smoking technique and the concentration that propels it, and my openness to experience a savory smoke, that determines the success of the smoking experience.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
By all means enjoy your cobs, but also take the time to give those briars a chance once in awhile.
I agree with Phil. When i first started 4 yrs ago, i thought the same as you did with the cobs. However, once I broke a few of my briars in (took a LONG time for i didn't smoke a bunch) i love them more now.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Cobs Pro:
Predictable, reliable, low maintenance and affordable instruments for smoking tobacco. That's enough to recommend them right there.
Cobs Con: Can taste like a mouthful of burnt popcorn if you burn down to the part of the shank that sticks into the bowl =) Not quite as interesting to collect as briars. Stems often need to be replaced.
Briar Pro: Can be things of beauty, craftsmanship and engineering. Much more variety of shapes. Can have provenance and historical interest. Collectible.
Briar Cons: Quality of smoke can vary widely from transcendental nirvana to a bitter disappointment. Can be expensive and high maintenance.
A lot more could be added to all of the above, but those are the basics for me. There is really no reason not to have both briars and cobs in your rotation.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
After considering the posts on this item I have decided to definitely include my briars in my regular rotation. I'm glad that I started this post however because without the comments given here I might never have learned to truly appreciate my briars. And best of all they are all things of beauty while giving a really nice smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.