Non-tobacco Herbal Blends - Does the bowl wood matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh White Elephant Pipes
36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Accessories
48 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebdhaese

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
Belgium
Hi,
I'm new here and also to pipe smoking. I'm looking for a pipe to smoke non-tobacco herbal blends based on damiana, mullein and raspberry leaf, but I'm not sure if I should spend any money on a briar pipe or if a cherry pipe would be just as good for that? I will be most likely smoking different blends from the same pipe. I know briar is better, because it soaks up the moisture from the tobacco, which matures and flavors the pipe better. But would that come into play in my situation?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
facepalm.jpg

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Greetings sebdhaese, this forum is very tobacco-centric, and I'm not sure anyone here will have the answer for you. I have no idea how hot or wet these herbs tend to burn, and therefore how torturous they would be to briar or hardwoods. If you're wanting to smoke a herbal mix without looking like a stoner, maybe a meer lined pipe would be something to try.

sebdhaese

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
Belgium
I'm not talking about anything like weed or any of that kind of herbs. Damiana, mullein and raspberry leaf herbal blends are closer to tobacco in taste and use. They are about taste, not about getting any mental effects. And they are completely legal to.
Let me rephrase the question:

Are briar bowls any better than cherry wood bowls, if you smoke different blends (tobacco or herbal) with the same pipe?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Off-topic, E-cig, Hookah Posts, Marijuana, etc.
7. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden. Posts regarding marijuana or other drugs are not allowed. These items have NOTHING to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience. If you want to talk about these items, you are in the wrong place. That goes for Hookah too. Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience. Again, if you want to discuss them, please find another website to do so.
Kinda sums it up, you may want to smoke belly button lint but this isn't the forum for that either :mrgreen:

sebdhaese

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
Belgium
Update: Herbal blends burn at same or lower temperatures than tobacco. The wetness of the blends is controlled by spraying them with honey water when they are prepared.
I know most people here use only tobacco, but I can hardly find any information about this elsewhere. I do know that usually wooden pipes are used because of the better taste.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The wood doesn't really matter when smoking those herbs. Cherry wood is fine. They will burn much hotter than tobacco. Coltsfoot makes a nice addition to that mix. I'm not fond of Damiana, but it has been a long time since I have smoked it. Those herbs are worth mixing with tobacco for different flavors and medicinal effects. How much it is worth to you I have no idea. They are VERY old traditional tobacco substitutes and will extend your tobacco supply when in peril or feeling adventurous. Since Motzek Strang uses blackberry leaves, I wouldn't scoff too hard ladies and gentlemen. Raspberry will dry your mouth out like chewing cotton and chronic use can cause kidney stones. Might as well mix them with a good Burley or Virginia, or both. Good luck. :P
edit: Never used honey water. Hmmmm. In my experience they burn hotter and faster, but they were well dried.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
I doubt anyone can give definite answers but the consensus is a Meerschaum pipe can handle high heat and imparts no weird flavors.

Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are neutral flavor and smoke well too.

Briar wood pipes are the best of all woods for smoking because they can take heat well, other fruit woods get hotter or burn out faster.

Some people say rosewood is dangerous to smoke out of .

sebdhaese

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
Belgium
Off-topic, E-cig, Hookah Posts, Marijuana, etc.

7. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden. Posts regarding marijuana or other drugs are not allowed. These items have NOTHING to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience. If you want to talk about these items, you are in the wrong place. That goes for Hookah too. Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience. Again, if you want to discuss them, please find another website to do so.

Kinda sums it up, you may want to smoke belly button lint but this isn't the forum for that either :mrgreen:
This has nothing to do with e-cigs, hookahs or drugs
Herbal blends are meant to be smoked like pipe tobaccos, they smoke very similar to. They just taste different and are somewhat healthier. And again they are made for taste not mental effects. They consist of everyday herbs, like thyme, sage, lavender, mint, nettle, chamomile, etc. They are basically smokable teas.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I doubt the herbs you speak of would be any healthier to smoke than tobacco. The chemicals to be concerned with, when smoking, are the result of combustion and incineration.
And, yes, your herbs have "nothing to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience." Ergo, your post is out of bounds, entertaining as it was.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'm sorry Davet. I meant no disrespect. You and Warren are almost certainly correct. But when has the inappropriateness of a topic ever stopped me from prattling on. :oops:
Herbs, as a whole, are decidedly NOT safer to smoke than tobacco. Some are less deadly than others is all. As Warren points out, combustion itself is one of the main killers. Personally, I'm just interested in the herbal components of old tobacco blend recipes. I know Indigenous Americans smoked certain herbs alone, and in combination with tobacco. I would never (again) smoke thyme, sage, or lavender due to the harmful effects of the volatile oils on the lung's alveoli. Unless there is clear precedent, do NOT under any circumstances, smoke willy-nilly out of the spice/herb/tea rack. I've been a practicing herbalist for over thirty years. Do your extensive peer-reviewed research first, then make tea. You have been warned.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are neutral flavor and smoke well too."
I would beg to differ on that point. My MM Mark Twain (bought three months ago) still imparts a certain sweetness to most blends I smoke in it. Am actually smoking it right now with some Condor Flake with no sweet taste but when I smoke 'lighter' blends in it there is a most definite sweetness there.
It's not unpleasant at all but it most certainly is there.
Regards your smoking 'herbal mixtures', I wonder, do you have some aversion to smoking tobacco proper?
Regards,
Jay.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I feel like this was a troll post. It certainly was entertaining to read through the comments.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I seem to remember that damiana is supposed to make you horny, raspberry leaves gets the juices flowing and mullein lubes up the ol' plumbing! :puffy:
Oh wait, that is if you take them orally, not sure when you smoke the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.