PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The post-op sheet says don't smoke after surgery. Smoking closes down the capillaries that feed the skin and facilitate the healing. So, okay. Maybe I'll use the time to dust out the pipe racks and cabinet and polish up the pipes. The surgery was Moh's, for a basil cell spot. I have had these on my forehead twice; this one is beside my nose on the left. Stitches on my face, just in time for Halloween. The surgeon nips out what he estimates is the bad part, the nurse puts on a temporary bandage, the doc goes to freeze the sample and examine it under a microscope, and if the margins aren't clear, they take a little more. The previous surgeries, he got it the first time both times, and stitched me up. This time, he had to go back once. I'm doing the pain meds just as a precaution, so I don't have to catch up with pain after it starts. A little swelling, a lot of ice packs. Wife and cats are tending me sweetly, except the cats scrap over who gets to be head nurse. Really. I'll get back to the briars soon enough.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am old enough that we thought the sun was our friend, the more sun, the better. Good to hear you are on the mend.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I hope you will get well soon MSO.
I am old enough that we thought the sun was our friend, the more sun, the better.
My dad used to say the same thing, we also thought that the sun was good for our skin. I don't know, in today's world even the sun has changed a lot I guess.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Did you explain to your butcher doctor that pipe smokers are exempt from all that bull?

You'll heal up in no time! Best wishes!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All best wishes! Was this outpatient surgery? I have heard that about smoking, drinking and taking coffee, that they inhibit recovery. Who knows? I know when I got through with hospital, I didn't even feel like a cup of coffee much less a smoke. I've overcome that now!
God speed in your recovery, and "no mas!" with the spots, I hope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm', I'll cooperate with the no smoking for a short time, but give up coffee, never never. Slurp. Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I think vulnerability to basil cells spots (cancers, let's face it) is genetic. My "kid" sister basks in the sun and buys nothing but convertible cars which she drives top-down on every possible occasion, etc. But if you are prone to this, do the usual stuff. Don't bask. Wear caps and hats with brims (which I've always done). And do what I haven't done enough, slap on some sun block daily. I'm one of these people who washes my face and shaves and figure I'm done. And I'm going to spend a certain amount of time outdoors. I park a distance from stores so as to walk more and do my yard work. The pain med made me sleep great, but I haven't taken any this morning and it's no problem; it makes me too foggy brained. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.