PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
OK this has never happened to me before and this may be a weird question.

I was smoking my pipe tonight, I tried a new tobacco a Navy Flake. It was a very nice smoke but afterward I got light headed and had to go kneel before the porcelain thrown and give up an offering of my dinner earlier in the night. Is this normal?

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I am nic sensitive and have a cellar full of med to high nic tobaccos that I cannot smoke. I get a headache that I call a buzz all the way to a raging pounding throb. There is a lot of info about nic issues but a good one is here. I stay away from fire cured dark Virginas and look for Virgina-Orientals like Larry's Blend and Magnum Opus. There is great tobacco out there that will not send you to the throne.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
This is not that uncommon with nic. Even when I smoked cigarettes on occasion I would "green out" like that. And that would be on my regular brand. I guess different variants thru the day make a difference.

Don't let it put you off though. I class it the same as the time I had that one two many glasses of red!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm also very sensitive to high nic blends and learned just to avoid them (SG ropes, FVF, etc.) Some blends, reported to be high in nic don't seem to effect me, others give me the ailments you had last night. So, I try to sample various blends when I can, before making a purchase.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
thanks guys, I usually have a cup of coffee with my smoke, but I will try both sweet tea and chocolate...can't go wrong with either.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Five Brothers, GH Kendal Dark, GH Bird's Eye, Picayune, C&D Dark Burley and GH Kendal Kentucky will all make your eyes bulge out . Kentucky is wood smoked burley and can also pack a punch .

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Smoking on a full stomach can help sometimes. I like a little nic kick but don't like too much. I've said this in other posts, but I'll say it here: if you have a strong tobacco that's mild in flavor, try mixing a pinch with a nice aro - you get the best of both worlds.
I find 1792 flake works well with many aros, but my favorite combo is Wilke Rumcake and a touch of 1792.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If you're ordering from Carole, you can get a sampler pack of 1 or 2oz each and you can choose any ones you want to try. I would recommend Bleeker Street and Wilke 191. Those two and Rumcake are by far my favorite aros. They are second to none.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You need to start smoking Petersons Irish Flake first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. After a few days of this, nicotine will never be an issue for you. Yes you will puke your guts up after the first couple of days, but by the third you should be ok. :rofl:
Seriously though, the more you smoke, the more your body will get used to the nicotine. I go up the strength latter throughout the day when I am smoking, and only smoke the Irish flake after a big dinner.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I had the same problemm last night, smoked three bowls of W/O Larsen Old-Fashioned and was praying in the middle of the night. It was the first time I smoked three bowls in one day. What would be some flavorful tobacco that are low in nic?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the heads up on that place to order. Tried my navy flake again last pm. Did not get the big rush again but did feel it. Took some advice with some something to drink...I nice big cup of coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.