PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
What Combo is that?
🤔

Urushi and bamboo Satou. Sometimes you find one or the other, but both are not as common from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: AroEnglish

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Do you know if he used wood to paint Tsuishu lacquer on, or it’s just hardened layers of different colored Tsuishu lacquer?

Ok Urushi is the lacquer finish on the bowl.

Last edited:

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
So Brian L explained to me that Tsuishu is created with layers of Urushi. Urushi is also the special finish on Satou pipes that takes several coats spanning several days. The Tsuishu is old stock that his father made.

Reactions: AroEnglish

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So Brian L explained to me that Tsuishu is created with layers of Urushi. Urushi is also the special finish on Satou pipes that takes several coats spanning several days. The Tsuishu is old stock that his father made.

Lots of Japanese sites explaining.

After further reading the color bands should be carved Urushi and Tsuishu lacquer.

Tsuishu, my understanding is called this when it’s a red color lacquer, and if it’s not red, it’s called Urushi.

My understanding is Tsuishi means Red Lacquer.

These carvings, this is done in red Tsuishi.

BB25D624-C7CA-4D05-A7D8-874F24846CC9.jpeg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Lots of Japanese sites explaining.

After further reading the color bands should be carved Urushi and Tsuishu lacquer.

Tsuishu, my understanding is called this when it’s a red color lacquer, and if it’s not red, it’s called Urushi.

My understanding is Tsuishi means Red Lacquer.

I’m no expert, just know how it was explained to me.