Newly Modded Pipe Tool and Estate Pipe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Hope this photo hosting works. I'm a knife collector and a lot of my user knives I've modified to suit my needs and well.... I wanted a pipe tool to reflect my love of knives so I picked up this little doctors knife and went at it with my dremel. First I grinded down the spatula into a pick and then rounded off the end of the blade into a sort of reamer. Also pictured is the Doc G I got off the bay. Wish I would have taken a before pick but I was so excited about cleaning up my first pipe I forgot. I carefully scraped out most of the old cake, scrubed the stinger clean then the inside of the stem and shank. Lastly I took 220 wet to the stem. It was nasty! Have to get some finer grit to finish it off but I kinda like the matte finish. What yinz think? Sorry about the pic size. Need to figure out how to resize.

bb3f1d61.jpg

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Nice job and Your pics are a good size for us old guys to see. Thanks. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Looks to be very fine work.

It should serve you well for years to come.
Hint on Photo resizing:

I see that you are using Photobucket. Good Choice.

When you roll over the photo (in Photobucket) a drop down appears.

You will see "Edit" click on that and it will take you to the Edit page with the photograph.

Click on the resize button. Then check the box that says "Use Percentages".

Click and hold on the top slider and watch the Percentage indicator to the right side of the photo.

Move the slider to the left and when the Percentage indicator reads 100% that will be the actual size of the photo.

If it is small enough then click on "Apply" at the top of the page.

Then at the bottom click "Replace Original".

The page will open with just that photo. Then click on the IMG Code. (that will copy the code)

Then you can paste that code into the Reply box and your are done.

Hope that helps... I know it sounds complicated, but it's not really.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

L

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nice Lawrence! Clear and concise to be sure. I wish I would have had an explanation like that on my first pic post. It would have saved many of my curse words for future use.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks guys! It was fun.

Very nice job mate, on both the knife and the pipe that you outbid me for. lol congratulations and enjoy!

Sorry sir... I just thru a number out there what I thought it was worth. Actually had no idea. LOL

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
That's a great pipe knife, Scotty. Just curious, are you planning on making these for sale? Because (depending on price) I'd buy one.
Think about it.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Haven't thought of selling them. I guess I could do a few for whomever wants one. I would just do it for the cost of the knife and shipping or you can get the knife yourself and send it to me.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I do believe I may go out an get one of those dr.'s knives an do something similar. I've made a few tools out of old baby food spoons but I haven't modified a pocket knife specifically for my pipe tool. Well done!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Wow! I have a Grabow like that, but yours came out much nicer than mine. How did you get the rustication to stand out like that? Mine looks like it was wire brushed. That knife work is cool as well, got me itching to modify one.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks! All I did was ream out the bowl a bit. The stem got sanded then oiled it all up and wiped it down. The knife is all I use since I did the modifications to it. Works great.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work on that knife! Looks like Viscount 39. 220 grit sandpaper is a bit course for stem refurbing. I like to start with 400,sometimes 360 if there are deep scratches etc.
Wow! I have a Grabow like that, but yours came out much nicer than mine. How did you get the rustication to stand out like that? Mine looks like it was wire brushed.

Gary,which DG do you have? Starfire? The Starfires(and others) were wirecarved. The Viscount and Westbrook received a rustication similar to what you see on Grand Dukes etc,then they were wirecarved.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
I'll post a pic tomorrow. Working till midnight tonight. The knife was easy to do if you have a dremel with a grinding bit. Can do one for you if you want but can't tell you when that will be. My free time from work and family is bogged down with carving jobs. All these carvings and I still haven't made a pipe yet. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.