Newbie. Tried Carter Hall, Didn't Like It. Suggestions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cometodaddy

Lurker
Sep 28, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm new to pipe smoking. I've never really been a smoker. Smoked a pack of cigs at one point in my life, but just couldn't get used to it. I thought maybe pipe tobacco would be better quality and be a better experience, so I picked up a Meerschaum cob and some Carter Hall. I read Carter Hall was a good starter tobacco. After smoking a few bowls, I'm not really a fan. It tasted cheap like Black and Milds or something. If anyone could recommend an aromatic, something that's much more on the sweet side, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
It's a cliche' to suggest that new pipe smokers start out with "Carter Hall and cob." But if CH were the only tobacco I would not smoke a pipe. I can't stand the stuff.
You're in luck if you're looking for something sweet. If I were you I'd skip all the usual stuff people might suggest like 1Q or BCA, and head straight over to Boswell's website. Choose an ounce of a few blends that sound good to you, and you'll be set. They're all good, but favorites of mine are Piper's Pleasure, Cupcake, and Bear Blend. And while you're at it, if you like the idea of smoky tasting tobacco, pick up an oz of Countryside which has a healthy dose of latakia but is still sweet.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Cult Abacus has been one of the best tasting aromatics I’ve tried in my very short pipe smoking tenure. I introduced a guy I work with to it as his first pipe smoke and he liked it a lot.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I would add MacBaren Original Choice and/or Vanilla Creme.
But don't dump the Carter Hall...I somehow suspect you'll come back to it :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Hi, Welcome to the forum!

As a primarily exclusively non aromatic pipe smoker, I say, didimauw has the best suggestion.

If you can't learn to enjoy Carter Hall, you may not be destined to continue.

Instant gratification and pipe smoking may not be accessible to the new pipe smoker, especially one without a pre existing tobacco affinity.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Especially since it's freaking hard to smoke a pipe!! Without getting frustrated re-lighting, scorching your tongue and spilling embers in your knee :puffy:

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
cometodaddy-
Welcome. Don't make rash decisions about pipe smoking based on trying a tobacco blend that does not appeal to your tastes, or idealized expectations of how that particular tobacco blend should taste. I have been smoking a pipe, on and off, since I turned sixteen years old, and I'm still trying to find that "perfect" blend. I wish I had a nickel for every time I was disappointed by some blends. Eventually, you'll zero in on blends you prefer.
Please!....do try sample sizes of many different blends, and don't get caught up with the ridiculous, poetic blend-descriptions, but do make notes of the tobaccos used in some blends. For example....a blend may have some smokey, leathery Latakia as an ingredient. If you hate it, don't buy blend that includes that leaf. Jot down some notes and rate your experiences. Also, don't be daunted or sorely disappointed if the blends you have chosen do not meet your expectations. Keep trying. I would seek out and order small samples from the major tobacconist shops. Ads are all over this forum, including many links. The "PIPES AND CIGARS" catalog offer many groups, as a collection, of sample-size packets of some of the most popular blends, that are very economical. Tobacco shops will very often allow you to fill your pipe with the blends that they are offering, for your trials. Take advantage.
Aromatics are usually heavily flavored, and often taste like nothing the name suggests. It's all a game....but it's fun to play. Expect nothing.... and be rewarded when you eventually hit pay dirt. Approach learning how to smoke, and looking for some blends as a work-in-progress, an adventure. You may have some pleasant surprises.
Also, go to school by watching some You-Tube videos that show the various pipe-smoking techniques, and reviews of tobacco blends, etc. You-Tube is loaded with these kinds of videos.
Finally, this forum is loaded with members who will help you with all your pipe questions and problems. I recently dusted off all my briars, and fired them up, again, after a 20 year rest, because of what I read on this forum, and what I saw on You-Tube. I realized that I smoked my pipes all wrong, for many, many, years, but now, I got my head straight, thanks to this forum. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
Don't give up, and cut yourself short. Learn how to properly smoke a pipe, and learn what to feed it. There's a blend with your name on it out there, somewhere. Go find it. Kick back and relax. Sip some smoke. Forget the world. Life is short.
Hope this might help you to become a Brother-of-The Briar. Good luck.
Frank

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
+1 to everything sumusfumus said. That's some sage advice.
I'd also like to add that when I first picked up pipe smoking 2+ years ago, I thought that starting with aromatics was a good entry to pipe tobacco and bought an ounce of 1Q + a MM cob to get my feet wet. 2 years later and having sampled probably 50 or more blends, I moved away from aros early on as I quickly came to appreciate the more 'natural' flavors of various tobaccos as I found that aros can be cloying at times and overall artificial in taste. Lately I've been enjoying dark flakes and plugs - Wessex Campaign dark flake, Peterson's Irish flake, Revor plug, GH dark plug, etc. We are all on our individual journeys to find that 'perfect blend'. Enjoy the trip!

cometodaddy

Lurker
Sep 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone! Very helpful. I've ordered some samples of different aromatics you all recommended. To be clear, I don't completely hate Carter Hall. But I can't see myself smoking it often. I think it's just not my thing. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Sutliff used to have a great tobacco finder thing that allowed you to put in your favorite foods and drinks and it would locate a flavor for you. It worked great if you prefer aromatics. Keep in mind that 90% of the aromatics out there will not give you any flavor on the tongue, but it will smell good. One that does give a great "taste" is MacBarons Halburg Green, if you like a slight sour apple and berry flavor.

We could give better recommendations if I knew more about what you like. Sweet, sour, savory, earthy, bitter, acidic, nutty, etc...
As someone else suggested above, not all aromatics will give you a taste, so don't get too wrapped up in the descriptions. Mostly with aromatics, everyone else in the room will get the most of the aromas. The smoker just gets the flavor of hot air. But, there are a few very good aromatics that do actually give you something to taste. You just have to either stumble upon them, or be more specific with asking for recommendations.

Good luck

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
This is a great thread. I am glad that someone asked, and glad for all the great answers.

I am a newbie to this hobby too and of course am still learning. I bet the learning will continue forever...
Yesterday I tried Prince Albert for the first time. Enjoyed it, but it was really too wet to smoke properly. I was really surprised at that. It felt sort of dry, like it would be OK. But it was a pain to keep lit and ended up with a gurgle... I will spread out the pouch of tobacco and let it dry before trying it again. Advice here has been that dry is better. I know this now, but must remember it...
Keep us posted with your progress please. It is fun to follow others in the quest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cometo', you need to try around a lot. For the next year or two, buy in small quantities, an ounce of bulk, a pouch, a single tin. People can recommend until they're blue in the face, but it's hard to determine what someone else will like. I bet there are sweet aromatics you won't like. Even if you like something, keep the quantities small because your taste will change. Personally, I might recommend one pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and one of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. These have a hint of sweetness, but are tobacco forward. I think you need to get the hang of tobacco flavor at the beginning. In any case, I hope you'll find something you like. A pleasant caramel blend is Lanes LL-7, but again, just buy an ounce or two. Take it slow and easy.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
If you can't learn to enjoy Carter Hall, you may not be destined to continue.
Not necessarily. Some just do not like the taste, or have issues with burley. One could say the same about 1Q or Nightcap...and be equally wrong.

Mar 1, 2014
From what I’ve read, no one likes their first bowl of tobacco no matter what you smoke.

It’s like trying a dish of really spicy food after eating potatoes your whole life, the first week is almost meaningless until your body adjusts.
Carter Hall excells at one thing more than almost any other blend: It’s Easy To Smoke.

I’ve wasted countless bowls burning my mouth trying to keep dense flakes lit, but at least the act of smoking a pipe is always pleasant when you smoke Carter Hall (ok not “absolutely” always but it’s much harder to get wrong). The flavor is subtle, but it will become noticeable with time.
My next best suggestion is trying some good Latakia blends like Captain Earle’s Stimulus Package, G.L. Pease Gaslight, or C&D Star of the East.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
For newbies:

My first tastes of CH weren't all that, either. Same for PA. I'd already smoked a lot (for a newbie) of Sir Walter Raleigh and my palate was accustomed to that flavor and those easily packed cubes of nut sweet burley.

I discovered ( ! ) that by continuing to smoke a 'new to me' old standard in the form of CH and PA that eventually, I found the vaunted and well loved attributes of each. It can take time to develop your palate to appreciate a blend.
Now, once you've established a baseline of codger affinities, you can branch out to other more complex or equally standard type, no nonsense, minimally treated varietals as offered by many quality tobacco vendors.
The roadmap to successful pipe enjoyment often directs you through the borough of persistence. Just don't 'persist' with a burnt tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.