PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. There are plenty of members to answer your questions. You will get to know plenty of members in your journey and make friends along the way.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Hey there, also a newbie! Pipe-smoking for less than a year! I go for bents usually, find them better looking, but I got some awesome straights! Anything Missouri Meerschaum puts out I can be happy with, bent or straight!
If you want to sample drugstore blends, I can't recommend Prince Albert enough. It's a simple smoke that you can 'puff and forget'. Captain Black White is pretty good, but can get a tad chemical-tasting. Most people I talk to hate Borkum Riff Mixture with Burbon Whiskey, but I thought it was quite good and my fiancé loves taking hits of it off my pipe. The problem with a lot of blends sold in drugstores is that they're grossly overpriced. $12 for a bag of Captain Black is insane, when you could get some tins of much better quality stuff for cheaper. One forgiving tobacco I'd recommend to anyone starting out is Frog Morton. Tastes great and meets the fiancé approved smell test. My personal favorites include Orlik, Sqadron Leader and Capstan. Don't be afraid to leap into this without a life-vest. One man's bane is another's pleasure. :puffpipe:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Welcome aboard Jaxon. I smoke strait and bent pipes. I trust you will enjoy your time here. Did you get your Pete D6? If so, pics please!

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Hi Jaxon !!! I was Ultraman when I was 6.
Bents are easier on the mouth as they feel a lot lighter. Straights obviously the opposite.
I have grown to like both.
I love my sunset breeze, but beware the different arros will blend together in your pipe altering their actual taste. To the Doctor above I would also recommend premium bulk tobaccos. You have a pipe buying addiction / bug / virus that you will catch soon and the bulk tobaccos are WAY better then the OTC over the counter, and over half the price by comparison.
If money is no object, I can be adopted.

yeperdo

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Welcome! Like some pipes bent like some straight. Some tobaccos work better with different pipes has been my experience. Check out you tube for pipe tobacco reviews also the web site tobacco review it's excellent. The forum here has a lot of great reviews on many different tobaccos. A few I like Orlik Golden Slice, Boswell's Northwoods and Sutlif Molto Dolce. Enjoy the hobby try lots of different pipes and lots of different tobaccos. You will soon find yourself on many journeys and making lots of friends!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
jaxon asked:

Do most of you prefer strait or bent

pipes, or do you use both in your rotation?
Both ... I have no full-bents, a handful of straights, but mostly 1/4 and 1/2 bents ...
Tobaccos are something that vary considerably by individual taste ... I am one who isn't into 'flavors' so aromatics have zero representation among my alternatives ... cherry is good in ice cream and candy bars, but IMO, just doesn't work on tobacco ... I prefer my tobacco to taste like, uhh, well ... tobacco ... and there are SO many choices out there that you might like ... you will like some of the suggestions that are made and not like some of the others ... that's individual taste for you ...
I recommend that you keep a diary or journal of sorts, at least in the beginning ... make notes of what you like and equally important, what you DON'T like ... you'll soon begin to notice that certain tobaccos are common in the various blends in both categories which will then serve as YOUR guide to navigate your way through the dozens (if not hundreds) of choices that are available on the market ...

jaxon

Lurker
Dec 22, 2013
sfsteves, Thanks for the suggestion of keeping a journal on "likes" and "don't likes". That's a great idea.
johnnyiii, I played Ultraman as a kid too. If you remember, the Captain of the Science Patrol also smoked a pipe.
chris, Yes I did, I tried to post pix but I'm having problems doing so, will try again later once I figure out the problem but I do have a picture of it posted in the "Show off your Peterson's Here" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.