PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think they may be glazed but they're done in a daubing fashion with little attention given to staying 'between the lines'. No idea if that is typical or unusual."
I would guess that the person applying the paint (certainly no 'artist') had many hundreds to do in a shift hence the lack of attention to detail. Possibly working with a brush or a small piece of sponge attached to a stick.
Certainly an interesting piece so thanks for showing it.
Hopefully forum member Condorlover will see this post as he appears to be the forum expert on clay pipes.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it were mine, I'd not smoke it, but clean and display it. I'd use warm water, dish detergent and a soft toothbrush on the bowl. Or Q-tips.
Very interesting, and thanks for the pictures.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the care advice! It's funny how you can look at an object afresh when taking pictures etc - I just thought it was a pretty pipe but now I think it's beautiful!
Olkofeo - no, I wish! It just seems to be a splodge of something. The only markings are on the top of the stem with the name and place.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
<p>Haha, thanks Mike! I haven't been taking particular care of it up to now, it's been rattling round in a box full of broken jewellery

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
I don't remember ever seeing him smoking a pipe but his dad was an ardent pipe smoker so I wonder if it came from him originally.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Oh sorry, I've just remembered that you mentioned it when you posted for the first time.
That is an interesting looking pipe. It looks to me to be more of a display piece, I'm worried it will break by just having me look at it!
Totally agree. If you are not obliged to sell it, then display it.

Status
Not open for further replies.