PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
They did this in MA a few years ago. People just drive to NH to buy their menthols and flavored vape cartridges now (and they're cheaper up there too)... and I still see kids vaping all the time so it clearly didn't make a dent in the problem they were claiming to try and solve.

Preaching to the choir here, I know.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew there was some reason Nat Sherman on 42nd Street closed. I still miss their 536 blend, an English with burley as a condiment, the standard in refined English blends for me. On my pilgrimage there, Clyde Gold, the lead sales person, sold me an ample bulk baggie full, and later I bought a tin online. Great stuff. It's their one tinned blend they did not license to another blender. Too bad.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Yeh, I can't imagine making something against the law in New York. I am pretty sure that you can easily find anything that is illegal in that town.
Lighten up, when we say we live in N Y some folks automatically think NYC. The western end of the one time Empire State is a different world also keep in mind we were not raised on a diet of CO 2, Hudson River water or even speak the same language. I am not worried all the state is interested in is the tax $. There are a lot of flavorings on the market may be time to try home blending .

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
reminds me of how in my state you can only buy so many ounces worth of beer at one time. You can make as many trips back into the store as you want. Or you know a law designed to not change anything but make the appearance of doing something.

I seem to recall you’re in PA? That beer law seems absurd. What if you are hosting a party and are trying to buy enough beer for your guests? Must you go to a distributor instead of the supermarket? I’ve had to leave, put the beer in the car in the parking lot, go back into the Giant or Weis, and buy again. It’s stupid.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I seem to recall you’re in PA? That beer law seems absurd. What if you are hosting a party and are trying to buy enough beer for your guests? Must you go to a distributor instead of the supermarket? I’ve had to leave, put the beer in the car in the parking lot, go back into the Giant or Weis, and buy again. It’s stupid.
I moved to PA from California. I went to a beer distributor and grabbed a half rack only to be told that I could not split a case. I was agog. I then told them all about this wondrous place in California where you could buy a single beer in a supermarket at literally any time of day. We both walked away from that conversation disappointed. I agree, though. Seems silly that we can only buy 120oz (is it more? less?) at a time, but ultimately can still buy as much as we want.

In Alabama, you cannot buy beer or alcoholic beverages for guests without a special license. So, don't ever mention this when buying alcohol of any sort here. We use a caterer with a liquor license for our parties, even if we are supplying the wine for everyone. There has to be someone licensed when serving any drinks.
Also, i notice when travelling that folks in some states can buy liquors at grocery stores of even gas stations. Here, you cannot buy liquor anywhere except ABC or a handful of specialty liquor stores. But, ABC stores are the cheapest, and they will also special order for you.

The South is very libertarian with tobacco, meaning I can smoke just about anywhere, but if you want to drink they will wrap you in red tape till you no longer are interested.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
People just drive to NH to buy their menthols and flavored vape cartridges now (and they're cheaper up there too)... and I still see kids vaping all the time so it clearly didn't make a dent in the problem they were claiming to try and solve.
Or kids pick up fake/counterfeit vapes, which can be extremely dangerous, since there is no telling what they’re inhaling.

Fake vapes were one of several contributing factors to a nephew’s recent heart attack, subsequent brain damage, and death.

He was 23. I know: Not a “kid,” per se. But he hadn’t even begun to figure out his life yet.

Reactions: sjohnston0311

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Or kids pick up fake/counterfeit vapes, which can be extremely dangerous, since there is no telling what they’re inhaling.

Fake vapes were one of several contributing factors to a nephew’s recent heart attack, subsequent brain damage, and death.

He was 23.

That's right. I seem to remember now the vaping hysteria from a few years back (that was partially responsible for the MA flavor ban) was eventually attributed to counterfeit cartridges.

I'm sorry go hear about your nephew. That's tragic.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Don't tell me you don't get the Neil Young reference...it's your State's song. First you didn't get a 27 year old Homer Simpson quote the other day, now a 50 or so year old NY quote? :rolleyes:
I can’t speak for Cosmic, but I wouldn’t get either reference either. Never watched ”The Simpsons”—cartoons in prime time never made sense to me—and am not a Neil Young fan beyond what got played on the radio when I was growing up. There are a lot of cultural references the world doesn’t share.

• Love
Reactions: warren and brian64