PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Seems like a good time to discuss the changes that we'd like to make in our piping life in 2018. "I'll finally try Mixture 79" or "I'll only smoke Brylon pipes"...that sort of thing.
So here goes.
I only have one real resolution:

"I will not buy any more tobacco. Not one flake"​
Calculating current consumption rates, I have enough pipe tobacco to last me into my 80's. And I'm not optimistic that I'll even live that long. So maybe it's time to stop buying.
I actually made this resolution several weeks ago. Then I got the $10 off coupon from P&C this morning, stacked it with the H&H Buy 2 get one free and the "Cocoa" free shipping and ended up with 3 tins of Russ's most excellent Viprati for $11.21 OTD.
Better luck in the new year, perhaps.

2v2uNAk4Fx3L6Bn.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With Bruce mostly out of the game, 2017 will likely be the last year that I buy pipes. God knows I've got more than I need anyway.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My News Year resolution is pretty much the same as always, not to make New Years Resolutions. I'm pretty much done buying pipes and tobacco, but I can't promise that if something really amazing came along I wouldn't jump on it. But, I can promise that it would have to be something pretty amazing.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
New Year's resolutions are more of a cultural conversation piece than anything else. Any change worth having means changing self, and even the best intentions and ongoing hard work are resisted tooth and nail. Few accomplish this.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I always thought that if you wanted to make a change, you just try to make it. There's no reason to wait for January 1.
But since that's not in the spirit if this thread, I suppose mine is;
to add something of value to the conversations on the forum :puffpipe:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My 'resolution' is more of a hope for sort of thing.

I kind of hope to have a chance to get together with some of you all to share a bowl.

It might be at a B&M Lounge, a pipe show, or a picnic area on I-75, but it would be great to meet SOME of you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
to add something of value to the conversations on the forum
An admirable aspiration to be sure, but way too lofty a goal for me. As a wise man once said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm gonna try to re-organize my tobacco cellar. Right now, blends are grouped by manufacturer, but grouping by genre may work better. The fact that my holdings are a mix of jars and tins complicates the logistics.
Some ideas for other organizational schemes or rationale would be appreciated...

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Next year I think I’ll slow way down on the number of pipe purchases. Think I’ll put the money that might have gone into several mid-level pipes into a handmade custom pipe instead.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Maybe the goals here are just too lofty and unrealistic.

Maybe we need to consider resolutions more in line with our potential reality.
I vow to buy more shit that I don't need and may never use.
There.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My best advice on resolutions, for what it's worth, do it rather than write it or say it. Just go ahead and start one day, one hour, and see if you can reinforce it as you go along. Once you announce it or write it down, whether you show it to someone or not, this satisfies the inclination and you will feel at liberty to ignore it. Well, I made the resolution, didn't I? In this department, being a man or woman of action is everything, the verbalization and proclamation is nothing. You want to stop drinking, don't take the drink, etc. Once you get some leverage within yourself, then you can share it privately with people who you know will support you, and go from there. Woodsroad, just don't click, and stay away from the pipe shop.

It's sort of like a quota, whichever of us mods closes the most threads, gets one of those new Lexus LC500's. At first I was thinking this sounded like a bucket pipe, but now that I've seen one... sorry, this one has gotten too far off of the OP...

1499037240887.jpg

Ha ha, now to go close all of the other threads. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.