PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
Hello to all. I am getting back into enjoying a good pipe full of good tobacco..
I had to take a break from pipes and cigars a couple years ago due to blood clouds in both lungs. Scared the cap out of me doctors said I should of died. Less than 10% of people that went through what i did survive. But survive I did now back to the 2 things I enjoy doing pipes and gars.
So I could use all the info on good pipes that you are willing to feed me with. I never had a good quality pipe before just basically used cheap ones that I could find. But now I want to get into some better quality pipes. Basically within the $100 to $200 range as I am not rich.
Am looking forward to posting questions and reading everyone else posts to learn as quickly as I can.
any of you have some good used pipes that you are willing to part with at really great prices to help me get started that would be great. Just send me messages.
I love in Richfield MN and really do not know anyone that is really into truly enjoying this tremendous habit so i do not have anyone local to sit down and enjoy a good pipe with. Now cigars is a whole different world as I am a cigar freak and know numerous people to sit and play cards with at the local lounges. ?
there is a pipe Club in MN please let me know as I would love to join a club..
for now time to kick back and search this forum.
Thanks

Mike

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi Mike, welcome to the site and welcome back to the pipe.
For great estate pipes here are a few of the sellers that I have bought from and can highly recommend.

http://briarblues.com/

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/

http://smokingpipes.com/
In terms of what brands, I would recommend Castello, Radice, Ardor, Caminetto, Savinelli for factory pipes. I buy American artisan pipes myself but before I did that I was a big fan of the Italian makers because of how cool and dry their pipes smoke. Most of the Italian makers have a large shank dimension 4.0-4.5 mm which provides a really nice open draw. This allows for a dry cool smoke that almost smokes itself. If you can find a pipe from the following artisans in your price range, you might want to think about those.

Rad Davis

Brian Ruthenberg

Scott Thile

Stephen Downie

Jody Davis

I am a fanatic about the stem work on my pipes and the artisans cut their own stems made from high quality German vulcanite which is my favorite stem material. The Italians mostly use acrylic stems which are hard on my teeth but easier to maintain. In terms of shapes and sizes, it depends on what types of blends you are smoking for me to make a recommendation. I have found that certain sizes and styles of pipes work better with certain cuts of tobacco. I smoke flake tobacco exclusively and I enjoy group 4-5 sized pipes in shapes like Dublins, Rhodesians, Billiards, Apples, Lovats, Brandy's. Hope this helps and don't be shy about asking questions.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing your story with us Mike, it's good to have you here. Finding a good pipe (or two) for $200 isn't too difficult - though to get maximum value, I'd recommend the estate route. However, be careful and buy from a reputable dealer (like the ones mentioned here).
Also you can try smoking pipes.com for quality estates too. Good luck and let us know what you find before you buy, you'll get lots of opinions (we love telling people how to spend their money!) :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.