PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Good day all!

55 year-old Connecticut resident and 30 year cigar smoker venturing down a new rabbit hole!

I recently helped a friend restore a handful of Meerschaum pipes that he inherited from his Dad 10+ years ago. As a thank you for my efforts, he rewarded me with a choice of pipes and I chose the pipe I am smoking in my avatar. For the last few months I have been researching everything associated with the pipe world and I found myself coming to this site quite a bit. I purchased a second Meer last week and it should arrive today!

So much to read, and so much to learn. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome from PA...and the start of your PAD and TAD!
I purchased a second Meer last week and it should arrive today!
"...well, it's been 6 months into my journey...I have now purchased my 43rd pipe and am waiting on my next shipment of 15 assorted blends, which now brings my total to 302. And I now find myself comparing costs with tins costs. "Yeah, I could buy that new microwave, but that would be the equivalent to 40 tins...microwave or tins....microwave or tins? I mean, I COULD just use the oven...""

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum from KC!! Down the rabbit hole indeed. Cigar smoking and pipe smoking are two different things. Be patient, find someone who already smokes pipes and take your time learning how to smoke one. Don't load your pipe nearly as tightly as you think and above all slow down your pace of smoking.

Reactions: AreBee

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome! What a great way to get into the hobby.

Do you have more photos of your two pipes? And what happened to the remaining pipes from your friend's dad?

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Welcome! What a great way to get into the hobby.

Do you have more photos of your two pipes? And what happened to the remaining pipes from your friend's dad?
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

There were 8 pipes in all. I got through five of them that day. I chose the blocky one because it just kind of spoke to me. My friend is new to the pipe world as well and he has been rotating all but the Calabash.

FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpegFullSizeRender-compressed.jpegIMG_2034.jpegIMG_2037.jpegIMG_2038.jpeg

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Good day all!

55 year-old Connecticut resident and 30 year cigar smoker venturing down a new rabbit hole!

I recently helped a friend restore a handful of Meerschaum pipes that he inherited from his Dad 10+ years ago. As a thank you for my efforts, he rewarded me with a choice of pipes and I chose the pipe I am smoking in my avatar. For the last few months I have been researching everything associated with the pipe world and I found myself coming to this site quite a bit. I purchased a second Meer last week and it should arrive today!

So much to read, and so much to learn. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community.
Welcome, from R.I.. You will certainly learn much, here!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome from PA...and the start of your PAD and TAD!

"...well, it's been 6 months into my journey...I have now purchased my 43rd pipe and am waiting on my next shipment of 15 assorted blends, which now brings my total to 302. And I now find myself comparing costs with tins costs. "Yeah, I could buy that new microwave, but that would be the equivalent to 40 tins...microwave or tins....microwave or tins? I mean, I COULD just use the oven...""
and I am the other way around. I have nine pipes about five blends most of which are regulars and I have been at pipe smoking since 1994 when I bought my first cob. And you know when you're in high school a basket pipe is a real investment. Also from PA like a lot of members here. As always I blame the stuff that's gotten in the water.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

There were 8 pipes in all. I got through five of them that day. I chose the blocky one because it just kind of spoke to me. My friend is new to the pipe world as well and he has been rotating all but the Calabash.

View attachment 295537View attachment 295538View attachment 295539View attachment 295541View attachment 295540
New Bulldog just arrived!

View attachment 295561
Lovely; thanks for sharing!

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.