PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
So I smoked my first Sav that had a balsa filter. I'm pretty impressed. I should have left it at one bowl, though. I tried to sneak a second one in after work with a flavored Cavendish and... you guessed it. THERE's the murmur. There's the gurgle. Over powered the thing. I mean, not the balsa (I had changed it), but I think the pipe was moist from earlier. Made the balsa work too hard.
Questions:
1. What do you do when it gurgles? Are you just done? I put a fuzzy in as far as it would go, let it set a moment. Seemed to help. But I was on the edge of the pond feeling any too-strong draft start to ripple the waters. When the moisture comes, then what? Stuck?
2. Instructions say you can use the same filter for 3-4 bowls. Really? After seeing how wet it gets, I sorta want it out of there, not sitting there keeping the briar fertile. -- Or does it stay on the balsa up in the stem, doesn't run down into the bowl?
3. Do any of you make your own? Hardware stores and craft shops carry it in varying thicknesses. Get a sheet, cut against the grain to length. Furrow it with v-cuts (probably just a craft knife would do it). Make all you want? -- Or pay the $18/100?
You balsa users, any tips to people just turning on to them?
Pups

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
12pups, when I had a Sav I tried the balsa filters, I mean I really tried to make a go of it because I did enjoy the dry smoke but the taste is compromised somewhat. I'd suggest getting the adapter to make it filter less and give that a try. I never had a gurgle in my bulldog and it was an ok smoker. I like Savineli and may get another someday. Let us know how it works out, I know you were psyched to get this one.

Hmmm, I enjoy the balsa filters with some blends, especially Va #1. I've not had an issue with gurgle, but I have a working concept on that. Smoke slower. I know that with a filter we tend to suck harder to pull even more flavor and because it doesn't bite at all. But, just be aware that we have this impulse. Beyond that... YMMV.
I have rinsed and reused filters for up to a dozen times with no problems. However, I bought some balsa strips and made hundreds of them now, so I just toss them.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've gotten away from the balsa filter, but have been thinking about giving them another go.
I would pull out the filter and let it dry, separately from the pipe. Usually I would stick the pipe in the rack, and the filter in the bowl.
One of the reasons most don't like filters is because you can't stick a pipe cleaner all the way down. I've heard over and over again not to do this, but i've seen lestrout (member on the forum) pull his pipes apart immediately after a smoke to clean them. I think he said he can get a better clean when the pipe is still warm. And that he's never had any trouble with it. I would just be careful not to twist too much.
Gurgling could be due to either the tobacco being too moist (easy fix, let it dry out some), or user "error." If you're smokin that big author, that could be the culprit. Kashmir (member on the forum) has suggested surgical tubing from a hardware store. Might help with clenching. I haven't tried them yet, but have a couple softy bits. They work, but sure are a pain to get on and off. I think the tubing is supposed to be easier. Been meaning to try it.
3-4 smokes would be pushing it, but maybe letting the filters fully dry out would help. I think with aros, 3-4 smokes was ok, but I tried it with a VA and it was done after 2, maybe 1.5.
I think I got 300 filters from smokingpipes.com for around $25. Taking the time to cut my own filters doesn't interest me, and as far as cost effectiveness, I think I would still rather just buy them already made. IMHO http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114077

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
With my 6mm Sav filter I pull it out carefully with small pliers after every bowl and drop it in the trash so it does not get stuck.

It takes all of a few minutes to cut a triangular strip of balsa.
I have been breaking my pipes down immediately after and even while smoking, since I picked up my first one. Nere a one has anything other than a perfect fit. As of yet, no one can explain this Voodoo physics that makes mass change in objects that cool while separated.
However, that said, I have stopped advocating others do this after setting in the B&M and watching completely clueless men just rip their stems straight out. I now just chock the Voodoo physics up to complete ignorance in how to separate the stem from the stummel.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I only have one Sav, and I smoke it without the balsa filter. I tried it with the filter when it was new, and it was fine. After a smoke, the filter seemed pretty nasty, and, like you, I did not like the idea of that sitting in my pipe (and growing who knows what) so I ditched it. Then, I smoked it without the filter (I did not have a replacement) and it was fine, so I smoke without the filter. One less thing to worry about. And, if my smoke is too wet, I can use a pipe cleaner if I wish.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yeah, I'd taken the pipe cleaner advantage for granted until now. I never use the medico filters in my filter pipes because a) they're gross to wriggle out, and b) they're in the way.
Balsa, though, so far I like. I want to learn them. Should have probably learned medicos. Maybe I'll have to go back now and use a different technique there, too.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hi 12pups. I use balsa inserts every day, both in my Savs and my filter cobs. I use them for four or five smokes before tossing them. Usually I just let them sit in the pipe until it cools and I clean it for the day. Then I just pull the balsa out and set it in my rack behind its pipe. I rotate though so that I give at least 24 hours rest for the briars. The cobs don't seem to need it.
Best of luck to you.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks, Billp.
Look what I found? I was looking up what "convertible" means and whether that little black tube that came with it was the converter. See, the instructions are pretty sparse with the thing, since they had to be duplicated in several languages. This thing here, though, makes me feel like I won't convert it. I like what I'm reading:
--

SAVINELLI CONVERTIBLE BALSA SYSTEM
Those pipes referred to as 'CONVERTIBLE' are designed to be used with the Savinelli Balsa System, a filtering system that uses the natural attributes of balsa wood. It allows the absorption of both moisture and impurities from smoke, without the addition of chemical elements, ensuring a clean pipe shank. This absorption ability is due to the extremely porous fibers of the balsa, which allows for a perfect smoke without altering the flavor and aroma of the tobacco.
This patented filtering system has been tested both by the EURATOM Research Center of Ispra and by the CHEMICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY Inc. Research Center (USA) with, more or less, the same results: “..the filter has the ability to absorb 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar contained in tobacco without altering the flavour of same”. The filter is uncomplicated and easy to use.
It is advisable to replace it every two to three smokes, or every time you clean the pipe. It is also recommended not to let the pipe sit longer than one day with a used filter inserted. With the insertion of the adaptor (included with the 6mm filters), the pipe can also be smoked perfectly well without the filter.
Once you experience its effect, you'll agree that it is one great smoking system. Almost every pipe Savinelli produces today comes with a pack of 20 Balsa inserts and a converter tube, which gives you the choice. This unique system makes the Balsa System-equipped pipe an ideal 'first pipe' for the beginning pipe smoker. Experienced pipe smokers also enjoy the cooling effect of this system. Whether or not you use the Balsa System, you will be smoking one of the world's best made quality briar pipes, backed by over a century of dedication to excellence.
Click here for source page

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Ah, you are the giver than keeps on givin'!
(I hope the reason you sold the three pipes was to pay for the long-awaited pipe of your dreams and not a transmission repair or back taxes or some other undeserved piece of cruel fate.)
BTW: Thanks for the Savinelli Black Cavendish. That really was a good start. Good stuff.

Aug 14, 2012
The best thing I can suggest is to throw them away before use. They make a mess out of the smoke and taste like (surprise) balsa, an unpleasant taste. They are not really filters either, the smoke goes around, not through them.

magrathean

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Lubbock, TX
Sorry to breathe life into a dead thread... but I have a question that hasn't been covered here. I just purchased a Rossi Rubino. I was not aware when I ordered it, but it shipped with Savinelli balsa "filters" and a small plastic/nylon/acrylic/whatever tube. So, naturally, I started doing a little research on the Savinelli balsa system and realized that the small tube is the adapter for filterless use. Fine and dandy. My question to those that use the adapter is this: How often do you remove it completely for cleaning? My guess would be to pass a cleaner through after each smoke like usual, then break the pipe down completely every few months for a thorough cleaning every few months or so like my other pipes. But I felt I should make sure, since it's a new system to me.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have a Bjarne Viking that normally takes a 9mm filter but also comes with an "adapter" that allows you to smoke filter free without the wide open draw sans filter. It's similar to the Sav system so I'll tell you how I handle mine. Every few smokes (I can pass a cleaner after a bowl) and the pipe is cool, I pull the stem and make sure I can remove the adapter. I usually then take a fluffy cleaner and wipe out any built up moisture and goo. It may just be me but I'm always a little paranoid that if I don't occasionally remove the adapter, it'll get gunked up and stuck in the stem. Of course after a fair amount of smoking rotation it gets a deep clean along with my other pipes. Hope this helped.

magrathean

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Lubbock, TX
That's about what I was thinking, too. It seems logical. I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone with a bit more experience than me. Thank you very much.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
"the filter has the ability to absorb 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar contained in tobacco"
Not a chance. I'd be surprised if it absorbed 20 percent of either the tar or nicotine. Smoke goes around the filter, not through it, dumps moisture and then continues. I use a new one every time and I've never had a gurgle or any sense that taste or nicotine was being compromised. I think using a new balsa "filter" every time is the key. The idea that they can be used for three or four smoke is also bogus. After a pipe cools, pull 'em and pitch 'em. No grunginess need sit in a pipe for more than a half hour.
It's actually a misnomer to label these things filters. They are moisture absorbers plain and simple, and they do an excellent job of that. I buy 'em in 100 count boxes for four bucks so that makes them four cents a pop. Big whoop. I have a total of six filtered Savs and rotate through them once in roughly a month. A whole quarter a month. What an expense!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my Savs were designed without a filter -- four unfinished pipes, a 601 churchwarden, and a Oscar Lucite prince. However, I now have two pricier Savs with filters, and I plan to try them with both the adapter and without. I assume the smoking characteristics vary from pipe to pipe. I did try the balsa filter and found it got extremely moist on the first smoke. Many seem to find Sav's fine smokers without filter or adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.