PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
I am very happy with this new commission from Tim Thorpe. It's a Devil Anse in his charred briar contrast finish, expertly blasted and with a moss Ebonite stem. Designed for Virginia tobaccos, especially flakes, it is breaking in really well. He's a hell of a guy to work with as well.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Never heard of him, but love that blast! That stem looks a bit like green cumberland. Very nice! :clap:

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
Great looking pipe. I have heard Tim makes very nice pipes for reasonable prices. Congrats on a great addition to your collection.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
@jpmcwjr, it does look that way from that angle. The darker stripes are better seen from the top or bottom, but I wanted a weathered look.

@chasingembers, I am a bit surprised that you haven't heard of him. He's a great artisan, one pipe at a time kind of guy. This was pipe 983 for him, and his blast is definitely among the best. You can see more of his work at Tim Thorpe Pipesand he is very responsive on Facebook, if you social network.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks @cigrmaster. He does make great pipes, the attention to the small details sets him apart from many. And his prices are beyond reasonable for the work. I can't buy many because it is still artisan prices, but this was worth the treat to myself.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks all. Tim was really great about working with me to get the right finish and stem and make sure they really worked together. It was a great experience helping design the pipe I wanted, but as made by an expert.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
I met Tim in NOLA at the show and I've been watching his work on Facebook, he is becoming quite the master blaster.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
@ssjones, he really has taken his blasting to new levels.

@jvnshr, having a pipe designed for flakes was Tim's idea, and it sounded like an amazing plan.

pitchfork

Preferred Member
May 25, 2012
That's a nice little number. I don't think I ever would have chosen either the stain or the stem color on their own, but together they look fantastic.