PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
This late 1940's to early 1950's Marxman Mello-Briar arrived today and got an all-afternoon face-lift beginning with an hour's soak in alcohol, a re-stain, polish and wax job,.....the stem was re-emblemed, sanded, buffed and waxed.

It's a beauty and I can't wait for the bowl treatment to dry so I can bring the thing back to life with a fresh bowl of tobacco.
100_0753.jpg

100_0761.jpg

Thanks Uncle Arthur for introducing me to the bulldog. I've got one more on it's way to me as of today. :D

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
That is a very nice pipe mate, love the look of the texture.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Sure was Bubba....one of those "Or best offer" deals. $38.00 and it had already been mostly restored, I just brushed her up a bit.
The one I got today; an old crusty Comoys bulldog, is gonna take a couple weeks of work, but it's got possibilities for sure.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Lovely pipe, Tommy.....This is one I could have (but didn't) smoke back when I was starting down this road in 1957..... :puffy:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
HiloJohnny I saw the old Melo-briars listed in two catalogs, one from 1945 and the other from 1950 for $3.50! And it was of his middle price ranged pipes!

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Superb work. I have the same question as Collin. What do you use for the stem re-emblem? That's where I tend to fall short.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Fantastic pipe Tommy! You should write an article and/or videotape your refurbishing of this pipe for know-nothings such as myself.
I want to start buying estate pipes and building them back to their original shape.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's best to use a tiny brush and gently polish off excess with a paper towl. I on the other hand slop it on with the dohicky from the bottle and do a fast wipe. followed by polishing off the excess with a paper towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.