PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Beginner here. Just smoked my Brebbia for the first time and the bowl got really hot. Could this be from how I am packing it? I used wood matches to light. Any advice?

As you get more experienced, you’ll subconsciously slow down and draw a little less hard to keep the pipe from getting hot.

But I’ve been doing this a half a century and most all briar pipes will get hot, even for me, until completely broken in.

Why is debatable but a pipe requiring break has been assumed for as long as men have smoked briar pipes.

Some break in much easier than others, and some may take two dozen or more smokes to break in.

Especially at the bottom, a new briar pipe gets hot. Some will snap, crackle and pop, during break in.

Keep smoking it. They all break in eventually.

G

Gimlet

Beginner here. Just smoked my Brebbia for the first time and the bowl got really hot. Could this be from how I am packing it? I used wood matches to light. Any advice?
Some tobaccos can be more prone to smoking hot than others if you're not careful. Very moist flakes are easy to overpack, especially if not thoroughly rubbed out. Before lighting makes sure it draws easily with the minimum of effort. If it feels tight repack it. Be careful the drawhole isn't obstructed with tobacco as well as that'll cause you to puff too hard.

Reactions: DLow

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It's also worth pointing out that some pipes just smoke hotter no matter what you do. If you've eliminated the variables pointed out in the thread already then that may be the case with this pipe.

I own a few that smoke very well but get hot as a two dollar pistol to hold.

Most of those are Danish freehands.

IMG_6164.jpeg

I think it’s because the briar, while beautifully grained, grew too quickly. It doesn’t insulate as well as mountain grown briar that struggled to grow.

With those you have to sip them slowly or they’ll burn out.