PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure, I smoke decent tobacco in quality briars now, but I only enjoy it because I developed a technique and then I forgot it. I pack looser than I think I should, I tamp lighter than I think I should, I smoke slower than I think I should and when I light my pipe, I light it up good.
The latter sentence is oft repeated, but the most important anti-tongue bite phrase is missing: Dry it more than you think you should.
Good luck! Enjoy!

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
I need to experiment more with drying. I’m always worried I will dry it out too much!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How's the taste? That's probably the bottom line for many.
Overdrying? Depends on where you live, in part. If in Alabama in the summer time, you'd just leave it exposed to the ambient air for ten minutes.... In cold climes in the Winter, you'd need to add some moisture, which is easy. There are twenty methods for so doing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One thing I always recommend to new smokers is they get a bottle of Biotene to swish your mouth out between smokes and after to help with the burn. Also you should drink either coffee, tea or water while you smoke. Soda will burn, juice will feel like acid. Adult beverages are also fine, but no mixed drinks with orange or cranberry juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.