PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks! It is my first James Upshall, so I hope it turns out to be a good smoker.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
With a round shank and saddle stem, I think it is a Lumberman. Canadians usually have oval shanks and a tapered stem.

Upshall made some fine pipes and I'm sure you will enjoy that one.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I have a new pipe question. I have a new Luciano that seems to have a much wider draft than my other pipes. So much so that it almost feels "too" effortless to draw on it when I'm smoking. It's new and not broken in yet but it seems very hard to keep lit and my mouth dries out pretty quick smoking it.
Anyone had a pipe like this? It could be something that isn't a issue after break in and just learning how to pack it best, but just sending out a question.

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
I am still learning my pipe makes and models, so I would of never guessed that chuchw. I will have to see what I can dig up on it when I have time.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Jay,
You might have a good pipe for slow smoking. A good open draft means you can move the air in and out to maintain your ember.

You'll get used to it.
Just don't draw too hard or you'll pull your tobacco through, and you don't want to waste your good pipe tobacco by chewing on it. :)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Jayh Said:

I have a new pipe question. I have a new Luciano that seems to have a much wider draft than my other pipes. So much so that it almost feels "too" effortless to draw on it when I'm smoking. It's new and not broken in yet but it seems very hard to keep lit and my mouth dries out pretty quick smoking it.
Anyone had a pipe like this? It could be something that isn't a issue after break in and just learning how to pack it best, but just sending out a question.
I have a few Luciano pipes and I love the open draw on them. They drill them like that on purpose. They smoke great. Keep practicing on your packing method and, like Pstlpkr said, you'll get used to it and will probably enjoy it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.