New Pipe Bowl Coatings, Leave It or Remove?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 anthonyrosenthal, It doesn't make a difference to me personally. Although, on one cheap basket pipe I bought, the coating actually started to peel off! It didn't affect the flavor, but it was a little annoying.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
In my 40+ years of puffing, I've never had a burnout and I believe that if a pipe smoker maintains his or her pipe properly, avoid using torch lighters and/or smoking outside when it's windy, the bowl coating is not only irrelevant, I look as the coating and being an interference between me and the pipe's briar.
While I only have 30 years of puffing I agree with Roth. I don't think a pipes individual character comes out if there is a bowl coating.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So we are all in agreement, people who coat their bowls should be castrated and made to eat their own genitalia, or is that a tad extreme? How about we hook them up to a car battery and give them a few thousand volts, I think there is no punishment too great for these blasphemous bowl coaters.
I think we should start a facebook page telling all artisans and mfgs that he who coats their bowls, will be dealt with swiftly and harshly, so who is with me? :crazy:

Dec 24, 2012
I have no issue with bowl coatings. I do agree, however, that they really aren't necessary. I think artisans primarily do it for aesthetic reasons - to make the pipe look "finished". However, if Castello - in my view, the creators of the best and most beautiful smoking pipes known to man - does not feel it necessary to coat their bowls, what possible justification would anyone else have?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I prefer not to buy pipes with coated bowl in the first place. I've had a couple of bad experiences with the taste, and removing the coating didn't completely get rid of the taste. So, now I just play it safe and avoid them.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm sure the big companies use some type of chemical coating and can't comment truly on them because I've never smoked a fresh coated pipe. But I've read in a forum that many of the artisans use a simple coating of honey, tobacco ash and some even a little egg white. So it may be worth asking the pipe maker, if he'll tell you, what he used for the coating. If you see a pipe you really want and that's the only hold back. JMO
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.