PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dave Kale

Lurker
Jan 9, 2024
Tigerton, WI
Hello, I received my new pipe a couple days ago (Churchwarden style LOTR pipe). I tried it last night. After a couple fumbles with the lighting techniques, I feel I got the idea of packing the bowl properly and lighting it. I notice a distinct taste with the tobacco I used (I don't have a good distributor close by so its a buttered run tobacco from a company called Dream Castle Tobacco Co out of Richmond VA) and it was very enjoyable for a first timer. My questions are as follows:

1. After you bowl burns down does the smoke naturally loose its flavor and seem more like a cigarette (It did seem the tobacco still had time to burn)?
2. Is it common to have to relight more than once with a bowl or did I pack it wrong or puff it wrong?

Thanks All!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Slow your cadence right down, just sip. Slower than you think. Flavour can be good to the bottom of the bowl.

Don't count your relights, trying to keep it going is one of the ways you get it too hot.

Packing 'technique' is different for different folks, but generally you want the draw of the full pipe to be the same as the draw of an empty pipe, so packed loose-ish. But a little tamped at the top. The open draw also means you can sip easy...which once again, means you do not smoke too hot.

A pipe does take a while to learn.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The bottom always tastes different than the top and middle. Just stop when you dont like the taste. One way to not waste tobacco on the bottom of the bowl is to use meer chips and put a layer in that. It helps keep the tobacco dry and not get that last bit of the bowl taste. Some folks really like them ...some not so much. Also dry your tobacco for a while. It might be too wet. It often is out of the package.

Badger307

Lurker
Jan 19, 2024
I am pretty much brand new. However, I love the thought of collecting and restoring antique pipes. Can anyone recommend a book about the history of pipes and pipe manufacturing?

Two Pipes Crossing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2023
Austin Texas
I am pretty much brand new. However, I love the thought of collecting and restoring antique pipes. Can anyone recommend a book about the history of pipes and pipe manufacturing?
If you get into restoring, I recommend practicing on pipes that are cheap or broken.

You can buy them in lots at an inexpensive amount.

The worst thing someone can do is to try to restore a historical or quality piece and ruin it.

Unfortunately, I see that frequently… every week even.

Also watch this guy’s videos, they are extremely beneficial for anyone wanting to begin restoring pipes, as well as people that have been doing it that wish to improve their skills (you should always want to improve, even if you are good, there is still room to grow).

High Grade Pipe Repair & Restoration

My apologies of my words are not desired, however I feel it is a public service to offer such words for the sake of pipes and the people who cherish them.