PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hi all
Just received my newest PAD, a 1932 Dunhill Briar. Absolutely beautiful condition. I even showed it to my wife and she couldn't believe it. The pictures actually are real from the seller:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2adcsnluiun3nie/671829538_o.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syqnb83colcjasf/671829560_o.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzt9hke4wfzqa10/671829731_o.jpg
What the pictures from Shineypipes did not show, however, were the fact that the pipe has an installed 'stinger' I'll call it, but it acts as the tenon of the pipe. If I try to remove it, there will be no way to connect the stem with the bowl.
The pipe is from 1932, and that must be the way that Dunhill made them, I guess.
As I said before, the condition is magnificent. The pipe was smoked, but man, the restoration is amazing, IMHO. The polish of the bowl and stem, the lack of teeth marks, really amazing to me, and I am a jeweler and know polish.
I did not ask whether this was a 'filter pipe, and as we all know, if we assume, yada yada etc.
Any words of wisdom to help me? My plan is to use this as my other Dunhill's for English tobacco, and keep my artisans for Va and Va/pers.
thanks

Allan

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I have seen many pipes for sale on ebay by this seller. His always seem to look new after he restores them. I contacted him once to cosider restoring one of my pipes. I though his price was to high, but I do admire his work.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Very nice looking Dunhill. It looks brand new. Thanks for sharing and Enjoy! :puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Well, Roth, as usual, you have the most logical thoughts.
I am going to keep it and smoke it tomorrow at the NYC pipe club.
Allan

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I like that shape; hard to believe it's that old, seems like such a modern design.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Allan, that is just a beautiful pipe. I have several Dunhills. None quite that beautiful. I'd keep it and smoke it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hey guys.
Just an update on my Dunhill 1932.
I attended the NYC pipe club meeting Tuesday night and the president, Lou Carbone immediately knew what the metal tenon was. According to Lou, it is /was called the 'Vernon Tenon' and was used by Dunhill during that period.
I am smoking it, and I must tell you, it is a great smoker! So smooth, basically dry (which I find amazing for a deep bent like this). I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Thanks for all of your kind wishes.
Allan

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congratulations on a beautiful pipe! I love old pipes. Hope to get more as time goes on.
Glad it smokes well. Enjoy!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats allan - that pipe is in amazing condition.
btw: those photos don't look like shinypipes photos, the background is more typical of another seller. Just curious, but are you sure shinypipes was the seller?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Allan, really glad that vintage Dunhill worked for you. It is a lovely, lovely pipe. Congrats on the pipe!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You guys will have to excuse Allan, he has cognitive issues which preclude him from remembering one dame thing. He bought the pipe from Chance at Great Estate pipes, not the low life from Shiny Pipes. What do you guys expect from a New Yorker. lol.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
You guys will have to excuse Allan, he has cognitive issues which preclude him from remembering one dame thing. He bought the pipe from Chance at Great Estate pipes, not the low life from Shiny Pipes. What do you guys expect from a New Yorker. lol.
When I posted above about the seller having pipes in beautiful condition, I didn't even notice that Allen mentioned Shiny Pipes as the seller. I did recognize the picture posing, and condition of the pipe as coming from Great Estate Pipes. I'll try to read better in the future. :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know how I missed this before, but that is a beauty of a Dunhill. I don't own one, but I think the Vernon Fitment/Tenon is cool as all get out -- and I think it always came with a cumberland stem (at least the ones I've seen have). Very cool. Thanks for sharing the pics.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a beautiful pipe. I haven't seen a Dunhill built that way. Perhaps Foggy can enlighten you or other Dunhill fans on the board.
aTAv6KrRjbs9a_8hnAI-a3eW2f-zknxlUCtyqMBPGco

Status
Not open for further replies.