PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A few years back I used ebay auctions as a bit of therapy, a distraction from life.
A 100+yo German tobacconist closed that must have had thousands of pipes dating back to at least 1900.

Buying way more than I needed, many wound up just sitting in boxes.
Recently I sorted through those boxes looking for a couple of pipes to gift to cigarette smokers and found pipes that I had intended to add to my rotation.

What I found was that these French and German pipes [which were probably entry level pipes] all take a pipe cleaner through to the chamber. Even the unbranded 'Bruyere Garantie' pipes.

The six that I've added to my rotation are all very good smokers. Every one smokes whatever blend to ash, never any dottle.
And they're all incredibly light [not that they're big pipes]

These are some of the pipes I've been smoking.

My favourite little pipe [which I've been smoking since I bought it.
A 1960's Skippy Prince Panelled Bulldog.
a1bb.jpg

A 1960's Skippy Prince Diamond Bulldog.

a1ckd.jpg

1930-40s Sandblasted Square Shank Dobbelmann Lincoln 01 Panelled Billiard

a1ma.jpg

1930-40's Sandblasted Dobbelmann Lincoln 25 Bulldog.

a1dg.jpg

1970's Sandblasted UTOR Churchwarden [A way better smoker than my Savinelli Churchwarden]

church1a.jpg

1940-50s Sandblasted Heibe Goldpoint Dublins [one is meerschaum lined] are simply brilliant smokers.

40-50s1b.jpg

These are just some examples I remembered to keep the ebay sellers pics.
Even the no-name Bruyere Garantie are just as well crafted and smoke just as well as the brand names of the same era.
There's not a dud amongst them.

I've mentioned these pipes here before but by finding more of these pipes and putting them to use it's reignited my appreciation for them.
Only regret is that I hadn't put them straight to use when they first arrived.

Antique NOS would not appear for sale at really affordable prices that often I'd imagine.
The ebay seller was not able to post to several countries from Germany due to the scamdemic so he moved operations to the U.S. [where postage to Australia is $30usd compared to the $12usd from Germany - oh well, I bought more than I needed, lol]

Every pipe smoker should try at least one of these antique briars while they're still available.
Haven't looked at the vendors website for a while but I'm sure he still has many remaining.

If you've already got a pre 1960s French or German briar, please share your thoughts.

For those who are interested; www.markenpipes.com [Not associated apart from being a very satisfied customer]

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Reactions: chopper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Those Ropps on Smokingpipes fall into that category, as do Brulors, etc that pop up all the time on EBay.

I have a couple that are good smokers and were very cheap ($25-35). Very happy with mine.

I'd recommend them to those who have issues buying (used) estate pipes
but are looking for affordable alternatives to cobs.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Those Ropps on Smokingpipes fall into that category, as do Brulors, etc that pop up all the time on EBay.

I have a couple that are good smokers and were very cheap ($25-35). Very happy with mine.

I'd recommend them to those who have issues buying (used) estate pipes
but are looking for affordable alternatives to cobs.
My 60's ROPP Apple is another I won on ebay which is another well crafted pipe that smokes very well.

It appears to me that that pipes of that era were made by craftsmen who took pride in their work.
Although they're not big pipes, they're incredibly light which makes me wonder if the briar that was available back then was of better quality than what's available today?

Even these 1930-40's no brand Bruyere Garantie [that I won for around $40usd or so] are well crafted and are very good smokers. I'm unable to tell them apart from similar branded pipes of the same era.

a1bma.jpg

Reactions: OzPiper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A very different genre of NOS pipes that came from the same 100+yo German tobacconist are these 80's Venini briars.
They're a solid pipe [especially compared to the WWII era briars] five of the six take a cleaner through to the chamber [the 6th one will also but needs a bit of fiddling with the pipe cleaner]

All I could find on the brand was a couple of lines on Pipedia; Venini pipes made in Italy for the "budget" German market.
They look and smoke way better than any other 'budget' pipe I've ever smoked.
I won most of them for around $33usd each averaged out.

1980's Venini Apple.

v1b.jpg
1980's Venini De Luxe Apple.

venini $35.90 a.jpg

1980's Venini Half-bent Billiard.
venini 1a.jpg

1980's Venini Bent Rhodesian.

venini 2b.jpg

1980's Venini Bent Billiard.
venini 80s half bent billiard. $50aud (3).jpg

Around $33usd for a quality pipe is a bargain IMO.
When these Venini first appeared on the ebay auction site [which had quite a big following] other buyers didn't seem interested.
Some buyers appear to only be interested in well known brands.

Oh well, their loss is my gain. puffy

Attachments

• venini 80s half bent billiard. $50aud (2).jpg
    venini 80s half bent billiard. $50aud (2).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: OzPiper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Cool find.
It beats my oldest briar which was made circa 1900.
Your thread has been closed to further replies [Did you piss someone off? :LOL: ] so I'll say it here; yes, pipes were made to be smoked. The greater offence would have been not to light her up.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've missed out on a few of their auctions. Really nice old briar and great prices.
That link takes one to their website that has fixed prices [which are quite reasonable]

Can't find their ebay auction link but one can find it through their website.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That "Dobbelmann Lincoln 25 Bulldog" is stunning!! I love the lines and the bowl to shank transition, absolutely gorgeous!! If you ever want to let her go, please keep me in mind.
Yes they're really well crafted.
Of course I love the Bulldog but there's something about the square shank Dobbelmann that's equally appealing.
Both are very good smokers.

I've still got a couple of boxes to go through; there's a slight possibility that I might have a spare . . . . I'll let you know if I do.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Your thread has been closed to further replies [Did you piss someone off? :LOL: ]
It was posted before The Great Forum Re-Formatting (a.k.a. software change) a few years ago, when any thread over six months old was closed.

I always figured it was to increase site throughput in a strategic sense. Make people re-introduce topics they wanted to discuss on a regular basis + keep keep the threads from getting too long.

As for pissing people off, that's a separate question. I never try to, but written communication always manages to occasionally because people read things imagining the writer's voice in their own head---a voice that their imagination supplies---unlike face-to-face where there's vocal inflection & emphasis, body language, facial expression, and so forth that's part of the message.

Attached is an example using word emphasis alone. Add body language & etc. and it's possible for something to mean the exact opposite of what was intended (sarcasm is a good example).

Attachments

• Word Emphasis Changes Meaning.png
    Word Emphasis Changes Meaning.png
    193 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: chopper

realypk

Lurker
Dec 22, 2021
Virginia, USA
Chopper, i love the diamond shaped pipe, it matches the faceted wedding band ive got very very cool. Is this a syle of pipe that can still be bought today? Any chance youd be willing to part with/sell it to a newbie with 2 cobbs and a briar?

:)20211224_195332.jpg