PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally am looking forward to Jan 1 2014 when the insurance companies can no longer base my insurance rates on pre existing conditions. Right now I have to buy what is called guaranteed insurance which is very expensive, come Jan 1 I will be able to buy insurance like normal people. Obama has done a great thing for the people who have to buy insurance individually. Health care costs are ruining this country and Obama is doing something about it. When I was married with my 4 kids, I was paying 1600.00 a month to cover my family, it was more than my mortgage. Things cannot continue like they have been.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@Harris
ragenuclear_zps815dddd6.jpg

That's outrageous. Good to hear things are going to be better for ya insurance-wise!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Another angle. Smoke,overweight,drink...So what about if no one really fights back and these all pass. Then when may they start taking blood samples to test our DNA to see if we pre-disposed for any abnormality, heart,cancer,etc...Oh wait didnt one country try something like this before? I think we beat them in WW2? Can anyone help me remember! I'm I fat lazy American and we forget so fast!

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I've got to agree with rothnh here. I'm not sure I'm against the idea of some sort of socialized medicine, but what's been put forward in a rotten mess. Just as I hate the idea of government bureaucrats and politicians telling people what they can and can't own or marry, I hate the idea of them telling people what they can and can't put in their mouth. If I wanted someone to tell me how to do everything, I'd move in with my grandmother or hire a nanny.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I agree that there are many aspects to the act that need work, but at least it is a start and it is something. We cannot continue to let private insurance companies continue to raise premiums by 20 percent per year while giving less coverage year after year. If we were to let these companies continue unchecked, millions more will be unable to afford insurance and there by putting the burden on those of us who do pay. I am tired of paying for people who just walk into any emergency room get treated and stick the rest of us with the bill. I was recently in the emergency room for kidney stone pain for 4 hours, they shot me up, sent me on my way and charged me 14,000.00. It is insane. That bill should not be more than 800.00 bucks but because they have to eat all the expenses of people who do not have insurance or refuse to buy it, they nail my ass to the wall. I am so sick of carrying people who can afford insurance but refuse to. They can afford a 400.00 a month truck payment, or 500.00 a month towards their credit cards, but they expect a free ride when it comes to health insurance. I have no problem with the poor who cannot afford coverage, it is the ass holes who can afford it but choose not to that makes my blood boil. I don't want to hear people whine that the government is making them pay for coverage, they should have been doing it on their own log ago.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, one good thing about my divorce was that my insurance went down 500.00 a month when I was able to take her off. The exact numbers were 1622.00 before and 1138.00 after

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
It is also sad that hospitals charge for and give only brand name medications. Most doctors allow patients to take genetic medications and the insurance plans encourage generic use as well by charging lower co pay amounts.
Something should be done on both the part of the government and also the insurance company side to change this so that the patient can benefit overall.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Like all other major legislation in DC, “Obamacare” was written by corporate lawyers (hence Pelosi’s infamous quote referenced above). And, IMO, the idea that it will be good for the avg person, or in any way cut into the profits of the big insurance companies is sadly mistaken:
Real Danger of “Obamacare”: Insurance Company Takeover of Health Care
http://www.nomiprins.com/thoughts/2012/11/10/real-danger-of-obamacare-insurance-company-takeover-of-healt.html

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Harris & Planetary,
I want so much to totally agree with you in public, but if I get involved in this conversation, I might loose another customer.
Rich

4noggins.com

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I'm not even going to pretend to be smart enough to make any kind of informed guess about how it will all turn out. I do believe that most legislation passed at state and federal level ends up so long and complicated that the original intent gets lost in a confusing mess of individually offered amendments. This bill is so complex, implementing it is going to be a work in progress for years. That means elections will come and go. The players will likely change. Who really knows how much of the original legislation will ever be fully implemented? If that's the case we may never know how much was good or bad. I believe the biggest risk is that 5 years from now, we are all still trying to figure out what to do about rising health care costs, it's affect on our lives and the economic health of our nation. Just my two cents worth. - bp

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
This isn't a Democrat or a Republican issue, this is a money issue. Our representatives are in the pockets of the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. No amount of " Voting the bums out" will make any difference. The next bums will be just as corrupt as the current ones.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very informative interview imo...valuable information for anyone who may be having problems with affordability and availability in regard to medical services...either now or in the future.
Free Market Physician Makes Health Care Affordable - Dr. Keith Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P7dsAXPh_qw

Status
Not open for further replies.