PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
And, screw this thing. Tell us more about what pipesmoking in Russia is like. What blends are available, pipes, pipemakers, what are pipe shops like there... tell us about local or Russian blends... screw stuff that we hear about everyday on here. Tell me more about what it is like to be a pipesmoker (or just a person) in Russia. That shit is fascinating right there.

So often we will get a member from somewhere cool as shit like Azerbaijan, Malaysia, or Japan, and then they just talk about every humdrum shit like Nightcap, MacBarens, Phhhht... screw that humdrum stuff, lets talk "what do you see when you walk out your door, where do you buy food, pictures of stuff that (if you live there) might seem uninteresting, but just talking to us about stuff we can see for sale in any old American Pipe shop doesn't interest me nearly as much as stuff you have access to that we would never have heard about.

Or, were you just f'n with jpmcwjr?
This pretty much. Though I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt, most of the Russians I've met where I am (Immigrants) are cigarette smokers or non-smokers.

This pretty much. Though I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt, most of the Russians I've met where I am (Immigrants) are cigarette smokers or non-smokers.
A jeweler friend of mine who lives in India, never posted his workbench or tools, just his work, which would blow your eyes out of your head. I asked him why not, and he said that he felt ashamed for not having a luxurious workbench and latest technologies like we have in US. He merely squatted at a log and made his pieces. I told him that, what he was thinking would make people think less of him would actually blow our minds even more so. To think that someone could just squat at a log using a claw hammer and tools he made himself and then make some of the most intricate, detailed works of art.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I would argue that not having the latest technology, and finest tools would make the work even more impressive. I don't know if you've seen the youtube videos but channel called Primitive Technology was a guy making videos of himself building huts and such with stone age tools, tools which many times he had to make himself. The only modern equipment being his cameras and such. Pretty fascinating.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
If I didn't retrohale, I wouldn't be able to taste the smoke at all.
This ☝️

I retro every puff. But, I smoke a mild blend. Like Cosmic said, harsher blends are not pleasant to retro. Actually, I’ll do it if handed a cigar too. Once, a host handed me an Italian annisette flavored cigar and the retro brought on tears. I’ll stick to my Granger please.

Actually, though it’s not quite as common as in the US, some people still smoke pipes in Russia. There’s pipe tobacco in almost every tobacco shop (most of them captain blacks and alsbo) and there are some nice shops, in the downtown of Moscow mostly, with a finer selection.
When you get a chance, I would love to see pics and hear your stories about pipesmoking in Russia. Just anything you want to talk about or show us. I think others here would love to learn more about what pipesmokers in other parts of the world experience.
And, stuff you might think is boring would probably be the best parts. Welcome to the forums, BTW.

Jan 27, 2020
Damien:

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Retrohaling just irritates my sinuses. I seem to get the same ashtray sensation as Anotherbob. I actually taste the majority with my taste buds, and then my tastes are amended by my sense of smell, but to actually drag the smoke through my nose, overwhelms them, and just ashtray... then my sinuses get irritated, and I wake up with a cough that may last for a week or so.

And, screw this thing. Tell us more about what pipesmoking in Russia is like. What blends are available, pipes, pipemakers, what are pipe shops like there... tell us about local or Russian blends... screw stuff that we hear about everyday on here. Tell me more about what it is like to be a pipesmoker (or just a person) in Russia. That shit is fascinating right there.

So often we will get a member from somewhere cool as shit like Azerbaijan, Malaysia, or Japan, and then they just talk about every humdrum shit like Nightcap, MacBarens, Phhhht... screw that humdrum stuff, lets talk "what do you see when you walk out your door, where do you buy food, pictures of stuff that (if you live there) might seem uninteresting, but just talking to us about stuff we can see for sale in any old American Pipe shop doesn't interest me nearly as much as stuff you have access to that we would never have heard about.

Or, were you just f'n with jpmcwjr?
Who really cares what you think? I don’t mean anything disrespectful, but , hell fire!!!

let the person speak!!!!!

Reactions: Charlie718

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's how I get all of the grass, hay, earthy, and sours. Also how I taste the tin note of aromatics.
I get those too. But when I retrohale I get bitter and acrid tar type smells. I get all the extra naunces by letting the smoke out of my mouth slowly and lightly playing with the smoke in my mouth. I think just agitating the smoke reveals a lot of those notes. Or maybe I am just weird.

DamienPiper

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
Moscow
I get those too. But when I retrohale I get bitter and acrid tar type smells. I get all the extra naunces by letting the smoke out of my mouth slowly and lightly playing with the smoke in my mouth. I think just agitating the smoke reveals a lot of those notes. Or maybe I am just weird.
Maybe, it’s the intensity of the smoke? It’s a weird taste if the smoke gets too strong.
Somehow, I’m unable to detect flavours doing it your way. I guess everybody kind of has their on thing going on

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Mar 1, 2014
Everyone seems to think if you blow smoke out your nose you get more flavor. Personally I find that just makes things smell somewhat like an ashtray.
I think you need to be more dead inside.

I just get stinging pain any time a waft of smoke accidentally gets too close to my face while breathing in, however the principle of smell being half of taste is still factual.
In order to better smell the smoke I'll let some of it waft out of my mouth while gently exhaling through my nose to carefully control how much actually gets in my nostril.